Alum

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Sassybee, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Sassybee

Sassybee Well-Known Member

Question:. I see most use alum. Why is that? Is that just for facials?

opsimath likes this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Alum is an astringent, and when rubbed on wet skin will stop any small nicks or weepers from bleeding. But most of us use it as a feedback device. After an irritation free shave you won't feel any burning from the alum. If you feel burning in certain spots you know you have to work on your technique in that area. You may be using too much pressure or have the wrong angle.

Brimy623, mrchick, simms623 and 3 others like this.
  3. Sassybee

Wow Ok Thanks for info. Is it just for face shaves?

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  4. cmorris357

Also those of us who use straight razors will wet our fingers and rub them on an alum block. This allows us to pull and stretch our skin taught even when it's wet and soapy. The alum gives you grip.

Brimy623, mrchick, opsimath and 2 others like this.
  5. cmorris357

No, you could rub it anywhere you shave, it's also the same thing as a deodorant crystal. You can wet it and rub it under your arms as a deodorant.

whiteboy_cannon and Sassybee like this.
  6. Sassybee

Hmmmmm ok. So it is essential to the whole shaving experience?

Ok Thanks for answering. Trying to get my setup for a new razor I will be getting next week. It will be first one.

whiteboy_cannon and Robyflexx like this.
  7. cmorris357

Not really, it does come in handy for stopping blood, but you could use a styptic pencil for that. Actually alum can be drying for the skin, so if you do use it, it's best to rinse it off after a minute.

whiteboy_cannon and Sassybee like this.
  8. Sassybee

Now looking for right brush. Ordering soaps tomorrow. I really am too excited. 4am and I'm still on forum. Omgoodness.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't think so, but others may find it a necessary part of their shave.

Sassybee likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

After I finish my shave,and have rinsed lather off with cool water, while my face is still wet I swipe my face with an alum block. It seems to close pores, and does stop tiny nicks from bleeding. Could be my imagination, but it feels like it tightens up my skin. I leave it on while I rinse out my shave bowl and brush, & put my gear away. Then I rinse the alum off with more cool water followed by after care products like an aftershave or lotion.
    The alum block that many of us use is available as a stick. Packaged like a deodorant because that's another use for the product.
    crystal alum stick.jpg

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I use this one. Ive seen it locally at Walgreens and Whole Foods.

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  12. swarden43

Just picked that one up at Whole Foods. Had a RazoRock alum block - 1/3 of the amount of product for the same price! $6

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great find! When I use up mine in a couple years I'll be getting that one, too!
    thrifty.jpg

14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I was taught by a barber that the alum is used for returning the skin to it's original pH value. The shaving soap changes the pH of the skin and the alum counters this.

15. swarden43

16. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Out of stock right now, but this is a a great brush. You could spend a lot more and get a lot less than this brush:

http://www.italianbarber.com/collec...-monster-synthetic-shaving-brush-26mm-monster

They have several other synthetic brushes, but this one is the larger size. This is a good alternative if you cant wait for The Monster!:

http://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes/products/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush

cliffb599 likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Do you use any astringent?

18. swarden43

Witch Hazel, L'Oreal ASB, Brut ASB, Wild Country ASB, Osage Rub - do they count?
    Alum on occasion

19. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I prefer Thayers witch hazel with aloe Vera and Dave the alum for minor cuts.

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Witch hazel and Alum do the same thing. Seems like most use one or the other, both is pretty much overkill. I find the aroma of witch hazel off-putting, so simply Alum for me.

It's your skin, dry it out your way!