An Engineer's Blade Sharpness Study...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PickledNorthern, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The testing found the Feather to be the sharpest blade on first use (by a good margin).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

At least everyone tells us it is, so it must be.

But from my experience, 7:00 Black and Kai feel every bit as sharp.

FaceScraper likes this.
  3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Sharpness of any one blade does not equate to a smooth comfortable shave. No doubt the Feather is a very sharp blade but I have always found that the first shave was uncomfortable and far from smooth. It performed much better the second and third time. Sharpness is greatly over rated. My opinion.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I would say we believe what our face believes. My face believes Feather ain't all it's cracked up to be.

5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I used Feather exclusively for years because it's what I had my first great shave with. When I signed up here, I got bit by the "Try 'em all" bug, and found other blades I enjoy more that cost less. I also found that I can use any blade, but still like some over others...

FaceScraper and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I bet @NCoxSTL has a few you could try out.... :happy097:

NCoxSTL and dustmite like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Decided to pick up the stick? :p

dustmite and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. dustmite

Touche... Any well built blade.

NCoxSTL and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Doggone it. I was digging out a couple to suggest but you're onto me. :innocent

dustmite and PickledNorthern like this.
  10. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

According to that test, Feather really is the sharpest. The lowest number means the sharpest blade.

11. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

The push through test does not make the results invalid. I appreciate it may be too much science but just want to respond in case anyone else reading is interested in the materials testing side:

A test, whether destructive or non destructive, does not need to replicate the actual use in order to quantify a desired property. I have extensive experience testing structural steel for example, and one of the tests is called a Charpy test which tests for toughtness. This test uses a swinging hammer like a pendulum and measures the force required to break a test sample of steel. This test is common for lifting lugs at low temperatures to prevent brittle fracture on lifting lugs during a lift.

Now in real life, there is no risk of a swinging hammer striking a lifting lug while a module is being lifted into place. The point? The test just needs to be repeatable and consistent for all the blades tested. This test measures the force required to sever the test media, and therefore how sharp it is. It could be done with a jig set up to slice, (this would be more difficult to set up), and the results would all change but they would have the same relatively to one another.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

Judging by your profile picture it appears you only shave your face. The testing is done on a full head and face shave, so 2-3 could easily match the 5-7 you suggest.

PickledNorthern and jmudrick like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Valid as a controlled scientific test, yes. I believe that's what he meant.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Why would a newbie need a sampler? This advice never gets examined.

Samplers are pointless. The newbie has no skill or experience with which to differentiate the blade qualities. I feel like it slows development and confuses the issue.

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think I have to disagree somewhat. Given the variations in razors and blades, there is some element of chance and/or skill in just getting a working initial setup. For instance, we recently discovered that the Dorco STD-301 (the Dollar Store blade) is so thin that it doesn't work well with razors that don't provide adequate clamping. Two years ago, I started this journey with a vintage SuperSpeed and picked up a tuck of those blades while checking out locally-available blade options. Thank goodness I started with the OEM Personna blades instead as I found the Dorco experience to be so bad that I immediately dismissed them as almost unusable. Had I started with those, I might have been put off of the whole Wet Shaving experience.

Similar statements could be made about other common "beginner" blades such as the Derby Extra and the Van der Hagen blades. I wish I could remember how we chose our favorite blade back in the old days.

BigMark83 likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'll split the difference between you two. My advice would be to choose a middle of the road blade -- no Derby, no Feather -- and stick with it for awhile. I'm in basic agreement with BS that the fewer variables the better. Which is also why I recommend against an adjustable as a first razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and dustmite like this.
  17. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

My opinion is that every newbie needs to find a blade not tugging. For some it might even mean Feather. For most, it means a less sharp blade than Feather.

A tugging blade is like using a dull knife. It is easier to have an accident with a dull knife because of the extra force used. A sharp blade allows more precision.

Assuming we have a valid result in this rest, a newbie noticing a blade is tugging can for now discard all plans of testing any blade less sharp. This means far less testing as he now "only" needs to search among the blades being sharper than the blade he used earlier. He will find faster a blade that is for him a good combination if smoothness and sharpness.

Keithmax and BigMark83 like this.
  18. dustmite

The problem being, a person new to DE shaving may experience tugging because of poor angle, poor prep, or poor tools. New DE shavers, myself included, tend to want to blame their equipment for a less-than-stellar shave. I spent a good bit of money starting out because I didn't realize that I was the problem, not my razors or blades. Another problem often arises because people tend to jump in whole hog. Learning to shave with a DE, making lather from hard soap, using a brush, etc. etc. all at the same time creates so many variables that pinpointing problems becomes impossible. I wish that I would have discovered something like the 30 day focus when I was starting out...

19. Bama Samurai

What I want newbies to avoid is the wasted two months. As soon as they get a non tugging blade, they should stick to it and nail technique. Doing a sampler for the sake of doing a sampler as a newbie, is a fool's errand in terms of skill development. So, limit use of sampler pack advice is what I try to do.

dustmite likes this.