An old Gillette commercial from 1956

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dark Vapor, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I saw this and thought I'd share it. I hope links to videos are accepted here.

RaZorBurn123, vwp528, KLF and 5 others like this.
  2. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, Dark Vapor.

That's a cool commercial, and it solved a mystery for me. I just picked up an empty razor box at an antique mall today that has "HEAVY" on it and was wondering what it's original contents were; now I know.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  3. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Very cool, thanks for posting.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  4. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thanks. I have two of the 1958 Gillette T.V. Special razors. One is in original pristine condition and the other has been revamped, re-plated.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Great commercial........by some great ball players!

Dark Vapor likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

PeeWee Reece: "A boy has more self respect when he's clean-shaved...."

I need to share this with my 3 bearded sons.....;)

For $1.29 each, I'd snag a few of those! BTW: This converts to $11.05 a razor in today's dollar buying power. CHEAP!
    Conversely, today's $150 Ikon slant would have sold for $17.50 in 1956.

Dark Vapor and Sontag like this.
  7. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

I
    If I could by new Gillettes for $11.05, I would need to add on to my bathroom.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  8. TheMonk

TheMonk Well-Known Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Dark Vapor likes this.
  9. tom myers

tom myers Member

Speaking of commercials, does anyone remember the Schick tagline . . . "Push - pull; click - click; change blades that quick with an Eversharp Schick"

Regards,
    Tom

10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Members here like to bust on Gillette for the price of their current production razors, but this is more proof of what I've said in the past, and that is that nothing has changed price wise in the sale of razors over the last 100+ years. They have, for the most part, always been approximately the same price. I can guarantee men complained about them costing $1.29 in 1956 just as much as they complain about the price of the Fusion, Schick Hydro etc today.

The current price for a new Fusion is around $10, so the $11.05 HR posted is right on the money, even a bit more expensive.

HolyRollah likes this.
  11. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Hahaha $1.29!!! Man I would have loved to live back then!

tuxxdk likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Careful what you wish for... ;)
    Average annual salary in 1956 : $3,600 ($300/month)

RaZorBurn123 and swarden43 like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Brass razors (then) vs Mostly Plastic (today).

14. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

haha this is true, but! I bet life was a lot more simple back then and money wasn't as big of an issue as today's standards!

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Why can´t commercials today be like this one? Commercials like this are interesting and funny. It makes people curious on a product so that the people trust this product and buy it. Sad times we´re livin in...:( I want classic commercials...

Daytonkb and tuxxdk like this.
  16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Schick and ASR was using plastic in their razors as far back as the 40's and charging the same relative prices as today's razors, and Gillette started using plastic over 40 years ago in 1971 with the Trac II, and there are lots and lots of those razors are still around. I don't think plastic is intrinsically bad, in some cases it is much better than metal.

Life in 1956 was no different than it is today, folks were faced with the exact same challenges we have today. Work, high prices and taxes, rebellious kids that pushed their parents boundaries and listened to music that they didn't like or understand while wearing clothes that they didn't approve of. The roads were more congested, and everyone was way too busy. Just like today.

Older people in 1956 longed for "the good old days" when life was simpler and everything was cheaper, and 50, 60 years from now people will be longing for "the good old days" of 2013 when life was simpler and less complicated and everything was cheaper.

Money has always been a big issue, and it will always be a big issue.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. cswann1

cswann1 Member

I couldn't help but think of my nephew when I heard that line in the commercial. Poor kid has practically no self esteem and it shows.
    He looks like a troglodyte. I'm thinking this year I'm going to set him up with a DE kit for Christmas.

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for posting this video.