And one more DE kickstarter: Baron

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

maltedmilk and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Old news. The water is getting really murky with all of these "the next best thing"

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ah sorry, wasn't sure if this one was already public knowledge or not :)

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Not public to me - thanks for sharing.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I had not heard about it.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This one seems to have an open comb and a closed bar side. I count 12 teeth as opposed to the customary 13.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Oh no worries :) I think you and I subscribe to the same email/shaving eye candy stuff. And Twitter:)

PatrickA51 and Darkbulb like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I like the finish and the kit aspect. :) But, dude needs a lesson in lather-making. :(

droberts0503, PatrickA51 and Darkbulb like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like the kit aspect, but there needs to be some vent holes for drying the brush, otherwise it'll be a nice environment for creepy crawlies to grow.

Weeper Warrior and maltedmilk like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

More to shave! ;)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Just what the world needs....

Kickstarter and the like are doing nothing good for anyone.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, there has been some good things that came out through Kickstarter;
    - Pebble watch,
    - Ouya gaming console,
    - A number of movies got launched and musical careers

I still believe that the concept to crowdfund something you believe in - from a creator that otherwise might not be able to bring it to life/market - is fundamentally sound.
    That it has been mis-/overused is certainly true in many cases but it is still up to the funding community to decide if it ever gets made or not.

kurtmill and maltedmilk like this.
  13. Mr. Shaverman

Well, begging friends and family members for money has always been a sound way to fund a business venture, and these crowd funding programs just allow you to do that passive aggressively now. Instead of a dinner party that ends with a pitch and the awkward imposition upon friends, now you just can send an email with a link and expect the dollars to roll right in. Not to mention the added bonus of bringing strangers into it too.

The internet has made a positive impact on a number of social items, but it's also had a negative impact as well. Begging is one of those. It's amazing how many products, businesses, movies and singing careers got started without having to panhandle online! It's as if there once were people in the world who would work towards an idea or dream that they were passionate about, can you imagine that?

If a creator is unable to bring something to market, it generally means that there is no market for what they created or they just aren't that into it. Or, as I've seen more and more on these sites, their revolutionary and original idea is neither revolutionary or original. That's okay, we all have good ideas that go nowhere or have a limited life.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I had a lengthy reply, but decided that the best summation is "glass: half empty, half full." I prefer to drink from the one that tastes more refreshing. Jeepers!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I humbly beg to differ on almost every single point.
    The internet - and crowd sourcing platforms like these - is far distant from the awkward post-dinner conversations with friends and families. It allows creators to instantly reach a global audience of potentially like minded individuals that share/can see their vision. Instead of in the past coercing people close to you to support your effort you now have a chance to be supported by people that truly believe in what you are creating.

Like any other tool it takes practice and skill to use it. Crowd sourcing is no different. If the fundamental concept of the platform is sound then it's up to the participants to make it a good one.

Guns are not an inherently evil tool because there are some bad eggs out there - and crowd sourcing efforts are not begging because there are some less reputable people offering up their services and products.

maltedmilk and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  16. Mr. Shaverman

I thought you might ;)

NCoxSTL and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I am sometimes just SO predictable :)

NCoxSTL and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  18. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

I will have to say that I'm with Darkbulb. The sites like Kickstarter are a good step for small business owners and inventors to step foot into a market that would otherwise price them out due to production costs. At the same token, it gives investors and consumers to get in on something at a discount.

Small proprietors are important to the consumer market. As we all know, the big corporations are too dependent on producing a product that have a limited life, so that they can report continued sales to their shareholders. Or an inferior product that saves on cost to increase net profit. The sole proprietor inventors don't have such limitations to work with. They just want to see their ideas come into reality.

I'm all for the concept of Kickstarter.

Now the razor in question, I find it interesting, but will pass given the thin handle. I prefer the short stocky razors.

Darkbulb likes this.