Android stuff

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by sol92258, Mar 29, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Apparently you need to do this for Android phones to calibrate the battery as most I've read have complained about battery life, especially the LG Ally. This is supposed to work on all Android phones.

2. NoahG

NoahG Member

Welcome to the Dark Side Jeff... we've got cookies.

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

4. azshaver

azshaver Member

My Epic 46 came with a 1500 milli amp hour battery. I got on the bay and bought a 3500 for a penny and included a new back. It cost over $9.00 to ship from Hong Kong. I got it yesterday and got more than twice the life. I can now go all day on one charge.

5. sol92258

Schweet! Finally decided to give the "folders" feature a try in Go Launcher EX...man my home screens look much better, separate folders for games, markets, browsers, etc....groovitastical

I know ADWLauncher and LauncherPro are the most common, best known ones, but I never did like them that much. I liked Zeam pretty good, and if I hadn't found GoLauncher, I probably would have stuck with Zeam.

I'd highly recommend trying out some of the 3rd party home launchers if you haven't already. You don't have to root your phone or anything, and you can always go back to the stock launcher if you want.

Here's a list of some of the home launchers, and some details about them.
    Zeam is relatively new, so it's not on there, and Slide Screen is a new one to me, so I'm going to read more about it.
    Edit: Slide Screen definitely looks interesting to me, I'm going to give it a try. Not sure if I'll like it or not, but it's intriguing enough for me to give it a whirl

Along with GoLauncherEX, I switched from Handcent to GoSMS, made by the same dev team as the GoLauncher. Handcent started giving me problems recently, like rebooting my phone when I'd finish sending a text, so I uninstalled it intending to reinstall, and saw GoSMS. No problems yet, very similar to Handcent, so if you're happy with it, no need to switch, but if you haven't tried either yet, give them a try.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I gave up on the LG Ally. The touch screen stopped working after four days. BG took it back and grabbed me a Droid 2 and she got a replacement X because her's kept rebooting all the time.

7. sol92258

Yeah, I've kinda heard less than positive things on the Ally. When my EnvTouch touchscreen died last year, I gave a glance at the Ally, due to Android, but gave it a pass on the LG. I like LG in general, but have no plans to ever get another LG touchscreen phone, I've had two of them die on me in general use, and I've read of many other accounts, like yours.
    So, I'm really liking my Droid 2. Sometimes I wish I would have went with the X, but I do like the real keyboard.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Thanks... my homescreen is now folder city... but this is more my style!

9. sol92258

Kewl! Which homescreen are you using?

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

GoLauncherEX

11. sol92258

sweet. I like it, better than ADW and LauncherPro. Have you tried them?

I'm playing with SlideScreen at the moment, it's pretty cool. I'm not sure I'll stick with it full-time, but I can see it as useful in certain situations.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Nope, this is the first I tried. I like the ability to make the widgets smaller and use folders. Those were two of my gripes about the old homescreen.

13. stingraysrock

Ditto. The sneak peak at Droid 3 shows a much improved keyboard over 2.

14. sol92258

Yeup. Still, if I were picking one today, not sure I'd still go with the D2, or D3. But I might. I just don't know :happy102

The Droid Bionic sounds like it'll be a pretty good machine, but time will tell I guess. Physical keyboards are becoming more and more a novelty. Which, truth be told, if my phone didn't have it, I probably wouldn't miss it as much as I think I would. Since I've gotten used to Swype and SwiftKey, I use the phys. keyboard even less. About the only time I use it is when I'm composing a longer email. I'd use it a lot more numbers had their own row. It's agitating enough to have to switch to numpad or long-press a key for a number with the on-screen keyboard, but it's exponentially moreso on the physical keyboard, that is one thing I miss about the LG phone. All my passwords have numbers in them, and my usernames nearly all have numbers....kinda frustrating, though I can understand their reasons for the layout

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I chose the Droid 2 just to have the physical keyboard. However, now I never use it.

16. sol92258

Okay, let's try this again...

"I don't always use the physical keyboard, but when I do, I prefer those keys" :D

[​IMG]

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

And that is all it took for you to break the thread? I expected you made some kind of recursive loop or did the forum equivalent of /0.

18. sol92258

well, that's a little modified, and I used a different image last time...perhaps he thought this thread wasn't interesting enough before? :rolleyes:

19. stingraysrock

I think I have too much phone now... 1.2Ghz Droid 2 Global Edition.

20. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

OK.... I am about fed up with these apps that came installed and constantly restart as soon as they are closed. So what is the worst case scenario that could result in rooting the phone? I did not pay for the phone insurance from damage, but I think there is a rider in our 2 year contract for device defects.