Another noob seeking advice

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by otacon, Aug 2, 2012.

1. otacon

otacon New Member

Thanks Ryan, I'll try the slide. Looks like it could improve my WTG pass, that right?

178-bplatoon, glad to hear that this thread could help you too :) I'll do some more experimenting and will post some more pictures for better feedback when I find the time. Yes, you are right about the handle, I feel the same way. That BullDog handle has caught my eye too, but I can't justify the price atm.

Thanks for the suggestion about shimming the blade, I'll definetly look into it, but it sounds like too much of a hassle for me, right now at least as I can barely justify the 30ish minutes it takes me to shave every day.

No, I don't stretch my skin (with the hand) as I feel it would just give me more irritation. But I'll give it a shot on the weekend.

Bummer, you both made me realise just how much I still have to learn and experiment. Thanks!

178-bplatoon and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. otacon

otacon New Member

Dumb me, I just later figured out that the Proraso cream I was using also had a menthol component. Bet that was the reason for my burning sensation. Lately I started using a natural soap (Calani) in conjuntion with face lathering and I love it. Seems to do wonders with relaxing and prepping my skin post shave.
    Aye matey, same boat :). I've also tried different after shave balms and lotions, but they all just gave me more razor burn. Atm I just use cold water, but am looking to purchase some witch hazel, as I too have heard that it could do wonders, but alas it's difficult to get a hold of in my region (Austria).

3. otacon

otacon New Member

On a side note to PLANofMAN: I haven't tried out your Trumpers Skin Food suggestion yet, as I found it to be a bit too expansive for me. But if the witch hazel - once I can get a hold of it that is - doesn't work, I'll surely give it a shot.

4. otacon

otacon New Member

You are referring to the 1950ties model, right? If so, puh, seems to be hard to get a hold of here in europe. If any of you got one fore sale ...

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I had one, but I sold it last month.:( Now I'm experiencing shaver's (or is it seller's) remorse. I'll keep an eye out for one at a decent price. There are always some on eBay and they sell for anywhere from $17-$50 depending on what kind of condition they are in and how much the seller knows about what he or she is selling. Post up a WTB (want to buy) and someone will have one I'm sure. They are a fairly common razor and many members here own one or two.
    Edit: I sold a slant here last month too.:(

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Yeah dude I concur with the other Ryan... I just saw a couple of Red Tips for sale on Ebay last night. They're worth checking out if you want to look into buying one.

Edit: I sent you a PM concerning a Red Tip.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Many American sellers don't like the hassle of filling out customs forms and actually taking the package to the post office, so they won't ship world-wide. That's why it's easier just to go through the WTB here or through the BST (Buy, Sell, Trade) over at Badger & Blade. Or if you can get someone here to buy it for you from the 'bay and ship it your way, that works too. I'd hate to suggest something that didn't work for you and also ended up costing you a bundle.:( As for shims, it's really easy to make one. All you have to do is cut off the edges of a DE blade with a sharp pair of scissors, then stack the blade you are going to use for the day on top of it.

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Regardless of the outcome, someone will square you away here.

9. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

I think it's fair so say that a Feather blade should last more than two shaves even with hard whiskers. My guess is that you shaving a layer of skin off. That can make lose it sharpness quite quickly.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Don't be BUMMED! The learning and experimenting is FUN. Don't worry you will do fine...)

11. Figaro's apprentice

Figaro's apprentice New Member

Otacon, I just want to add that I had some irritation issues and problems getting rid of stubborn stubble on my chin. I switched to a Gillette Slim Adjustable and it has made all of the difference in the world regarding the comfort of my shaves. I think it is a pretty mild razor, but I found I could set it on a 5 and get a good shave.

I am still a noob myself (started in early Sept.). I started out with a Merkur HD 34, and could only do 2 passes without irritation. Like you though, I was not able to get a smooth shave with just 2 passes. The Gillette Slim has enabled me to do 3 or 4 pass shaves without irritation, so I can now get some good, close shaves with no discomfort at all.

Good luck!

PLANofMAN and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Wow, Im still doing it wrong. I soak my brush while I am in the shower and a little warm water on my soap. But out of the shower to full shave (only 1 pass) is like 5 minutes.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You're not wrong, that's just your way, and as long as you're enjoying it...

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Wow! Your newbie experience sounds and looks a lot like mine:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/how-my-face-has-trained-me-to-avoid-stuff-that-burns.50424/
    I almost gave up wet shaving. For me it has been a combination of things. Which is why I slowed down and started down the 30-Day Rule/Focus method. Once you reduce the variables and get your technique straightened out, then you can start experimenting a bit. But, for me, my 30-Day focus was to make sure that my technique was sound, repeatable, and free from injury. One razor (Feather AS-D2), one soap (Cella), one new blade for 2 - 3 shaves (2, because sometimes I couldn't get to 3 with certain blades). I do a good pre-shave prep. Every morning, S.S.Shave. The shave part goes like this: I wash my face with a good face wash (in the shower part), but not a scrub (I use Dove Hydration), then I use a good pre-shave oil. There are lots available, but @Sara-s has a great DIY recipe. Menthol is death to my face, too. That much I know, now. I don't allow anything that is described as menthol/eucalyptus/citrus/juniper/herb/green forest/minty/frozen-tundra to get near my lather bowl. I will pay dearly. So, these days I look for soaps, creams, and croaps then have subtle scents or no scent, no menthol or alcohol and mostly natural ingredients. I like old school barbershop scents; TOBS, Cella and Tabac, are my mainstays, today. I try to use stuff that is easy to create a good lather. It should be like yogurt and you need enough to create a good cushion. Don't skimp on shave soap or cream. Load that brush well. Bowl lathering and painting helps when your face is a little sore. If you face lather and scrub too hard with red face, then you will prolong your agony. It's too bad about Proraso For Sensitive Skin. Makes great lather, but it has menthol (ouch). I am also more than willing to wash off anything that starts to tingle when I put it on. At that point, I might stop shaving for that day and wash my face with a mild soap. Or, figure out a way to go really, really easy. Mild razor, new sharp blade, no scent soap, one pass, WTG. I also know that blades are a HUGE factor in comfort. In the 6 months that I've been on this path, I have only gotten more than 3 shaves from ANY blade twice now. My face tells me with no uncertain terms that my blade is past its useful life. It lets me know when my alum block burns rather than mildly stings and when the same happens with my aftershave splash, that blade is toast. If I didn't pay attention to that and tried to get another shave from that blade, I might have to wait a day or two for my face to calm doing before shaving again. Blades are cheap so I don't mind tossing one when starts feeling a little raspy. I would rather enjoy my shave. For me, Feather Hi-SS and Gillette Silver Blue are my gotos. GSBs, especially; not the cheapest, but most reliable, I think. And, I've learned that aloe and vitamin E when in a balm are your friends and should be close by to put out the fire. Lastly, for me this mostly came down to technique. I am now very careful about angle of attack. I still, even after 6 months, start with the cap flat against my face and the handle perpendicular. Then, I rotate the handle down until I just feel the bar. I try to "ride the cap." A good sharp blade will still mow down my beard anyway. This is especially helpful with an aggressive razor (of which I have tried a few and have been able to use without bloody aftermath). Remember, APPLY NO PRESSURE. Let the razor do the work. Short strokes, rotate the head every few strokes, rinse the razor often. I've pretty much worked with one razor, one soap, and the same routine for at least a month before I tried a new razor. I have swapped in a new razor for a just couple of shaves and then finished the week with the Feather to make sure that any marks left by the trial would disappear before rotating in anything else. For the last month, I been able to rotate in a new razor for about a week to get a sense of any difference in technique. And, don't kid yourself, different DE razors shave differently. You have to modify your technique a little with each one. My Feather is my goto, right now, but this last week I've been using a 1920s Gillette Old Type Short Comb and it has been very smooth with the my goto blades.

Trust you face. It knows you best. Red face, rashes and burning are warning signs.

But, welcome. This is a great group of folks. They have saved me from myself many times over.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I thought otacon had returned after four years to post an update. :(

16. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Uh, oh. Didn't pay attention to the date. For some reason I got an email notification from this thread (or at least I thought I did). So, I jumped right in. My apologies. :ashamed001:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Two other people jumped in before you, not your fault. :)

I don't get bothered to much by necro posting if it's a good thread, and this is one of the better newbie threads, even though the original poster never got his issues resolved.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Maybe if he had stuck around...

Just sayin'

PLANofMAN likes this.