Another SE shave-off

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Apr 3, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Every few years I have to part with my inventory, much of which has gone unused these days, so in preparation of shedding excess shaving gear I have decided I will limit myself to one DE, one injector, one cartridge handle, and one SE. The first three are already determined. The SEs will need elimination rounds to come down to one of four:

Damaskene

OCMM

Today I started with the Damaskene.

Having removed most of my beard last week and needing to mow around the goatee, I started with the razor shimmed at first, then unshimmed.

With the shim in (a tape-coated injector blade) the shave was too mild so I removed it. Unshimmed, I was reminded afresh after several years of non-use just how uniquely magical the Damaskene is.

While few if any SEs can be called inefficient and some can be downright uncomfortable, this one is (perhaps) the supremely comfortable SE, easily as comfortable as any of the mildest DEs, in my opinion. And that's where the magic happens: having just loaded a new PTFE, I caught myself wondering "Is there even a blade in?" even as I was watching three days growth come off. It took two passes to get 95% BBS; wasn't in the mood to scrape for that last 5% so I called it good.

In a few days I'll move on to either the 1912 or the 1914, and plan to end up with the OCMM. It's liable to be a tossup between the first three since they are so nearly identical to one another. There are subtle differences but I honestly don't know which will come out on top. I will use the same soap (Nivea menthol can o'goo) and blade for each, so if you're interested in this boring play by play, stay tuned.

DAMASKENE

Plus: amazingly mild yet efficient enough to shave very well in 2 passes, leaving you with a near BBS. While mild enough for daily use (I could not shave daily with many SEs), the deep semi-closed comb can still take off a full beard without clogging...so it has comfort, efficiency and utility in its favor.

Minus: might have to push to get a true BBS. The Damaskene makes you (or maybe just me) want to push for the last few tiny short whiskers it missed, which aren't really visible anyway and would result in irritation.

Score: A-

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Keithmax, Linuxguile, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I'll be watching with interest.

I too own those same 4 SEs and am also trying (unsuccessfully) to thin the den a bit.

:signs002:

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  3. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

You have started with the best, no need to move on. Just saying.

If anybody would like, I have a very pleasant retirement area for SE's. Where they can play bingo and play bridge with the other SE's. ;)

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The OCMM could shave a sasquatch without batting an eye and that's really all I kept it around for, to de-beard. But upon coming by another Damaskene a few months back, the first in years, I don't think I need the OC's aggressiveness and weight. It's a bruiser but I'm going to give it an honest shot.

The other three...that's going to be a tough call.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I said that many years ago with the first Damaskene I found, and it may again prove true. Then when it was gone, I said it (still say it) about the 1914. Then, upon reassessing the 1912.

Everybody's got their magic razors. There are only three that, I can recall, were magic for me. This is one. The Ranger Tech was next. Then the all-metal Clix E-Z Flo, which is the DE I've settled on. It's unbelievable. If one side of it was open comb, it truly would be my last razor ever.

The Schick E2 isn't quite magical but it's handsome, efficient as all get out and fun to drive with the right blade. That's the other keeper.

Keithmax, Jim99 and GarnerPW like this.
  6. pisces_0

I feel the same way about the MMOC. Whenever I have to slash-and-burn thru multiple days' growth, the Micromatic is one of the first choices.

A bruiser, indeed, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.
    Ah, the 1914. In my humble, but correct, opinion it's the perfect balance of efficiency, aggressiveness, size/weight and design. I don't see myself getting rid of my 1914 any time soon.

I did say I was trying to thin out the den a bit, didn't I?!?! :happy102:

Keithmax, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My gut does tell me it's going to come down between the '14 and the Dame, but I'm going to be as objective about them all as I can.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You guys are too harsh on the OCMM.

It's really not that bad once you dial in your technique with it.

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have to ocmm and I never thought it to be overly aggressive

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It was in production for a decade without any changes at a time when Gillette did not dominate the razor world as it had earlier (or would post-war). Ain't nothing wrong with it. As Steve Jobs would have said, if it's beating you up you're not doing it right.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Keithmax, PickledNorthern and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's just the weight of the thing for me, compared with the others. When I'm out of practice with it, which is usually, it seems more aggressive than it is and I get irritation even with great shaves. That's the main problem for me. For taking off a full beard with no trimming first, I don't think even the NEW can do quite as good a job.

Keithmax and PanChango like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That makes sense and yeah, it is a capable razor.

Last November I decided to simplify and do a year with the micromatic. Most of the time I have been using the ClogPruf, but I really don't notice much difference from the OCMM. I'm 131 days in and it is just like using a tech or anything else. I get good shaves without having to think. :)

I'm not saying it's the right one for you. Only you can figure that out.

If you thin the herd and later decide you want an OCMM, send me a message. I have a spare here that you are more than welcome to have.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it, but life is really taking a left turn on us right now; after this sell-off I don't foresee myself ever acquiring the horde of stuff like I've done for the past 10+ years. I'm going to go maximum minimalist on shaving stuff and stay there. It's actually past time.

Keithmax and PanChango like this.
  14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Agreed.it took me a while but I get great shaves with it now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Getting ready for tomorrow's shave, the 1914. Tightened up the bunny ear springs as they were letting the blade slide back a bit. Plating on this one was quite sad; starting to pit and worn off at the sides where it's lifted open. So I broke out the fine grit sandpaper and Simichrome and matched up the heavy chainlink handle to the head. I've never been much for gold-tone or shiny brass on razors...always prefer nickel/silvertone...but I gotta admit, the satin brass with hints of nickel is working for me on this one.

0404182113.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Jayaruh'a thread reminded me of the Rolls I had completely forgotten. May have to put it in the running.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@gorgo2 , I don’t know how I feel about you getting down to three razors, but I’ve considered the same thing. I’m not an extravagant person.

I’ve subscribed to this thread and I’ll be following it.

18. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I too, eagerly await the results. Although, with a bit of sadness.
    Any and all of those razors are great shavers with the right technique and the right blade.
    I've been fixed lately on my GEM Jr. I wasn't impressed the first time,but the more I use it, the better I really do like it afterall.
    Good luck, and I hope you at least enjoy your last shaves with those beauties....

Keithmax, gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.
  19. pisces_0

After a year of buying, trying, selling and trading I've finally pared down my active rotation to the following:
    • Ever Ready 1914
    • Gem Junior Baton Handle 1912
    • Gem MMOC
    • Valet Autostrop VC1
    • Superior Lather Catcher 1900 (new to the den)
    • Rolls Razor
    • Gillette Fatboy E4 1959
    I have a few others that are mothballed, so I can understand the desire to thin the herd.

Keithmax, gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.
  20. pisces_0

The Gem Junior is a quality piece. Solid performer in my rotation.

But you've GOTTA try a 1914. None better. You'll have to pry mine from my cold, dead hand...

gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.