Anyone remember their dad Shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Knox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

My dad used the Gillette Sensor as far as my memory goes back to actually seeing his razor.

Those who ever watched their dad shave with DE or Injectors- did they do multiple passes or just a single?

Commercials from back then seem to show single pass shaving was the norm- one lather I mean. But what was the real shaving norm?

Thanks guys, for helping my curiosity.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My dad used a single pass with a DE razor, and also with a Trac II. I never saw him shaving with something else than those.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I know my father used a Gillette de razor, because he gave it to me in 1958. I can't remember which one it was. He used a brush and a puck of soap, I think it was williams because he gave it to me and I hated the smell of it. Started to use can shaving cream.
    I don't remember how many passes he made, because I didn't watch him shave that much. But I know even then shaving was a pain in the butt. Now that I went back to de razors I really enjoy shaving.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My first memories were of him using a Gillette Super Speed, Flair Tip I think, during the mid-late '60's. I'd watch him while standing next to him and lathering up with either Gillette or Barbasol shave cream with Gillette blades. If memory serves me right, he would do one pass with maybe a little touch up afterwards. He had a pretty thick beard and it would grow quickly and get that 5 o'clock shadow sometime after lunch.

5. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Dad used a Super Speed for quite a while with Personna blades. For years he used Noxzema lather cream which he got me started on my wetshaving career. When his dementia began to worsen he was forced to switch to an electric. He has a Wilkinson brush and an Omega one.

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

My Dad used a Gillette slim adjustable with Wilkinson Sword blades and Williams soap most of the time and for some reason he would even smoke a cigarette . And when he would nick himself once in a while he would use a little toilet paper and we would tease him about it. Mom would have to get him new blades at the grocery store the next time because that had to be the issue.:rofl:

7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

All I can remember my dad using were cheap disposable plastic razors with a single blade. They were usually tan or yellow. That's what I first shaved with. He also used an electric razor from time to time. Shaving was a necessary evil for him and not the fun and relaxing experience we all crave.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wish I had my Dad's razor. From my memory, I am thinking he shaved with a brassed out New Improved Tuckaway. And, I don't remember him ever using canned goo. In fact he just washed his face and shaved with the face soap or just water.

9. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

At the facility where my Dad is no safety razors are allowed to be used by the male residents themselves. However, it's not forbidden for someone else to use them on one. I'm going to give my Dad a good shave with his Wilkinson brush, a Gillette Good News disposable, and Palmolive Classic cream. After that I'll splash a little Skin Bracer on him!

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't recall watching him shave but I recall he had a Black Beauty and a Slim at different points. He's been solidly Trac II generics for the past 40 years at least. He swears by Dorco's version, as do I.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My Father used this exact razor when I was a child:

[​IMG]

After I became an adult, he switched to Trac 2/Atra stuff. He gave me his old Schick. I have since converted him to DE. He currently shaves with a 1963 Gillette Adjustable on Five, Voskhod, Arko and @Jayaruh #22-Plisson synthetic type.

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I wish my Dad had an old razor he could've passed down as well, but as I mentioned above he just used disposables.

That's really great, Chris!

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My pops always used a bic disposable or brief stints with electric razors.

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes, I remember him using a Gillette Black Handle Tech, back in the 1960's to 1970's. He was always sporting pieces of toilet paper on the face and neck, after. Since then, and to the present, he has used electric razors.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No. Wish I did.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: When I was a little kid, my Dad used a Gillette Slim or Fatboy. He later used a Trac II or Atra. He performed one pass every day using lather he made from whatever hand soap we had in the bathroom. Used DE blades went into a slot in the back of the medicine cabinet. There's a pile of used blades in the wall of my childhood home, some dating back to 1955.

When I started shaving as a teen, I used a Trac II or Atra and hand soap because that's how my Dad did it. I used canned shaving cream every now and then, but hand soap lather was the norm. In college, I switched to bloodless shaves using a Norelco electric. Fast forward 30 years and four or five electric shavers later, and then I started DE shaving. I have since used a Trac II for short periods of time using a proper lather and better technique, and those shaves are as good as a DE.

I still have a Braun electric razor that I'll use every so often. I can get a pretty good fast shave with it when I'm short on time.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No hand soaps here; shaving soaps were very widely available then, and even when I started shaving in the eighties. Nowadays it's down to one or two brands in many drugstores.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I used to watch the old man happily shaving with his injector and can cream. I ended up switching from my TTO to the SE because he was using an injector. Those were the days...

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have faint memories of my father, shaving with a DE razor. I can’t recall what kind, as it is sadly long gone.

20. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I know he used a DE razor for awhile because I have a memory of him (when I was about 5 or 6 years old in the 60s) of watching him shave. I have no idea if he did multiple passes or if he ever used mug soap. I think he used canned lather, but I'm not positive. I just remember when I was that age a few times when I'd go in to watch him, in awe, get ready to shave that a few times he lathered up my little face and "shave" me... with no blade loaded. In later years as I got older and close to shaving too, he was mostly using electric shavers. By the time I got old enough to need to shave the folks started me out on electric shavers. They were certainly convenient, but I always had some stubble left. I just figured that's how it was.

As for that DE razor? I asked mom about it last year and she still had it! She used it for years to do her own shaving. I cleaned it up for her and let her know it's a 1957 Gillette Super Speed Flair tip.