Apache Strata

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by oscar11, Oct 17, 2014.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Is anyone beside Kevin experimenting with this stone? I've read everything I can find on it and it sound interesting.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

there was a great thread on B&B but they closed it because the vendor kept posting in it. :rolleyes005:

Lots of guys are claiming it's on par with Thuri's and coti's or Zulu Greys. Personally I find them to be a little overpriced.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: Although pretty much every natural stone nowadays seems prohibitively expensive or overpriced. Coticules come to mind.
    This is a one-man shop who quarries and shapes them. I'm been pleasantly surprised by the edges of the Apache, so I can't complain of the money I've invested ($75 for a 1.6x6.5x1/2 stone).
    So far, so good. It's a very hard stone. I've used it with just water; raised a slurry with the DMT, and used a slurry from a small Thuri.

4. BudWhite

What's your screen name on the other sites, Rollah? I swear I've seen you post elsewhere regarding these.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've posted on both SRP & B&B—kpa78 & key kev, respectively….and you shouldn't swear! :rolleyes005: :D

6. BudWhite

Cool. I'm DickWhitman on b&b and SRP

7. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

All the buzz I'm aware of says these are capable of a "Good Quality J-Nat Finisher" finish. If true, that makes these stones a bargain. The only not overwhelmingly positive report I've heard was when one forum member received one that wasn't working for him. The supplier got him set up with a new stone, and now he's a believer. The first stone was apparently very hard, the replacement stone was much softer. This apparently did the trick for him. He recommends a lighter colored, chalky appearing stone.

Any strata capable of producing good stones is capable of producing the occasional lemon as well.

Seems like these are going to turn out to be well regarded hones.

8. BudWhite

It's funny you say that. The member you speak of lives near me and is a mentor. I remember texting him about the Apache and at first he told me to visit the local quarry and pick a random stone...it would be just as good as the Apache. LOL. It seems he's changed his tune now.

entropy1049 likes this.
  9. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Lol, it's a small world!

10. oscar11

Well, I drank the Kool Aid and placed an order. I've never developed HAD most of my hones have come from antique shops and have cost me between $7-$15 with the exception of my Norton combo. I do like the idea of using natural hones but have never forked over the dough to play the game. I have a method that has worked well for me for years and the bottom line is that I'm just looking for a good shave with a straight. To top everything off, by nature, I'm not a very scientific in my approach to things. Don't count strokes, don't use any fancy strokes just operate by feel and vibe. So...I'm about the last person in the world that should be playing around with these things anyway. Have a good one.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Steve, I look forward to reading your impressions of the stone!
    By the way, I much prefer the grape Kool-Aid over the rest….:D

12. oscar11

I always liked the green stuff. I'll pass on my impressions. Thanks, Kevin.

13. oscar11

I'm pretty enamored with this stone. It's very easy to use and gives a nice feeling edge (very comfortable) on my face, plus a close shave. I flattened the stone today and noticed it developed a pinkish lavender colored slurry which surprised me. Seems to me, a bevel set and a 4k, 8k Norton and finishing on this stone could put a put a guy in business. Additional use might temper my thoughts on this stone but for now I'm infatuated. I'll play around with the number of laps and see what happens, which have been in the 40 to 60 range. If you have the rocks you might not need this one but if your searching for a finisher it might be worth a look. It will see a lot of use in my shop.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I want one but don't see what I want on their web site

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I picked up an apache stone a bit wider than my previous one (2.5 vs 1.6).
    [​IMG]

16. oscar11

You could try emailing him. Or just keep checking back a couple of times a week, I'm pretty sure this is a work in progress.

17. kn4wd

kn4wd Member

I own two they are very nice stones, he has his own forum now. if you don't see what you want listed send and email and tell him the dimesions and he will give you a quote and cut it. Terry is a nice guy to deal with and stands behind his stones. both mine have very good feedback and give excellent edges. I have a light and a dark. the dark is a bit faster but the edge quality feels the same

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Today, USPS delivered another Apache stone (the one pictured in post#15 above).
    This one feels very good in the hand—as I do prefer holding the stone versus laying it upon a flat surface.
    The flat side is uniform and very smooth. I've done no lapping on it as of yet
    [​IMG]

The back side is an irregular, undulating surface, which is probably why it 'fits' so comfortably in the palm.
    [​IMG]

Its about 5/8-6/8" thick average, and 1.0" at the densest spot.
    [​IMG]

Wide enough for even one of the bigger blades….:)
    [​IMG]

Karl G, Billyfergie and 178-bplatoon like this.
  19. oscar11

Kevin, I'm pleased with my stone.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm hoping I'll be equally as pleased with this new one as you are with yours, Steve! :happy088: