Apollo Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, May 30, 2009.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

2. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I haven't seen these. Unfortunately I can't make heads or tails out of the German!

The old style 3 hole blades they have are tres cool. I wonder if they are a thicker blade like the old style Gillettes?? It would be great to pick up new blades that would be a good fit for the old style open combs. I would love to try some out.

I hope somebody else pipes in here. A group buy might be a great idea - both for the regular style D/Es and these old style. Nice find!

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Don't understand german either, I used translate.google.com to attempt a translation and it could not understand it either.

4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I bought a pack on Saturday and used them this morning, but as a newbie I cannot really tell a bad blade from a good blade and any nicks and cuts (if there are any) maybe bad technique. They were quite expensive - 5 Euros for 5 (same price as Merkurs).

5. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Well...... it is Tuesday! How did they work??

6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Hmmmm not as close as a Feather, didn't cut me as much as a Derby. My face felt raw but I didn't have any irritation but only the third blade I have used in a DE. Not very close on the neck against the grain, but it could be my technique.

7. Teiste

Teiste New Member

:happy102:happy102:happy102,yeah sometimes I use google translator and its even worst that trying to understand the original language!!

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I know that Chroma,German Wilkinson,Merkur and its seems that Apollo are really sharp but not smooth at all...

9. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Why can't google make better translator people sit in the translation room. Or as with most google products, they are in beta too :mad:

10. harlekin

harlekin New Member

My german isn't fabulous, but I think I understand a lot of what's on their order sheet. The dimensions are listed on the order form and the three hole old style blades are available quite thick. It looks like 0.1mm, 0.2mm, and 0.3mm are available. The modern style DE blade options are 0.06mm, 0.08mm, and 0.1mm. I get the feeling that their blades are industrial grade, which may not be as smooth as we are used to. It's like using a hardware store SE blade in a GEM. It'll shave you, but you may not enjoy the ride.