April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Doug!

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Jim.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

3/19/17 SOTD
    Razor: 1937 Rolls Imperial/ medical tape
    Strop: Drygulch Horsehide/ Linen
    Brush: 28mm Unersoft II aluminum handle
    Soap: The Shave Den Purple Rain
    Aftershave: The Shave Den Purple Rain 2X Iced

Hmm. SWMBO is running errands, the little one is napping, and the four year old is watching movies. It's a rainy day, and I'm bored. Time for science.
    IMG_6073.jpg
    I have been thinking about how to make the razor blade taped to your finger, aka dumbest idea on the 30DC (so far) work. It seems there are two separate engineering problems to address. 1. How to keep the blade rigid enough. 2. How to attach it. I decided to run a test on number 2 and used a wedge blade from my Rolls razor to eliminate 1. I used quality cloth medical tape, as it seemed like it would be strongest.

Observations. Lathering your face with a razor blade tapped to your index finger is unnerving. You really can't see what you are doing with this set up. Something I didn't think of is cleaning the blade. Tape stretches as it gets wet. Once the blade starts moving, your quality of shave goes down. The Rolls blade is stiff enough, that when properly honed, you should never need much pressure to start the pass. If a bit of wet tape sticks to your face, and you power through it, you will probably have the pressure and angle wrong.
    IMG_6075.jpg
    I did 3/4 of a WTG pass, and grabbed the handl for two more passes. Alum was hot. Like an attic in Phoenix in August can't breathe hot. Enjoyed the scent of Purple Rain for the shave, but need to think some more on how to make this work.

I have a video of a few passes of the Shave, but can't figure out how to use photobucket.

NCoxSTL, Jayaruh, Linuxguile and 14 others like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

No words, my friend. I'm thinking of you and your family.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Adam is here...​
    next level.jpg
    The rest of us are here.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Are you using a DE or SE to clean up?
    I can get SAS, but not quite CCS with an open blade. As much as I enjoy the process of a shavette or straight shave, I still feel the need to make those clean up passes with a safety razor.

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I bow to your shenanigans. The bar has been raised. Mayhem has nothing on you, sir.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Beautiful picture, Doug!

9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Everyone sets their own bar. Some go for crazy, some go for intimidating, some go for spooky. We will all get there.

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Timing is everything. All you younger newly married guys, pay close attention.

One must first identify the enemy.

This nugget may come in handy later. For the uninitiated, "your quality of shave goes down" can be translated to "you can lose consciousness due to extreme blood loss."

Nah...it's never a good idea to overthink things here in 30 Day Land.

Be extremely careful here. Videos are admissable in court cases to determine competency.

1.png

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

No clean up. What I get is what I get and it really isn't a bad shave, just not as close as the 2 pass DE shave. :)

If I have something important at work, I will just use a DE for the day.

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You officially have the biggest cajones of the 30 day crew. Keep them away from the Osage rub

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Adam.

14. Norcalnewb

Sorry to hear about your troubles. We had some family friends who had a baby boy born with a severe heart defect last summer. He lived for a few months enduring 4 surgeries and never left Texas Children's Hospital. The family is still coping with their loss, but they are able to look back at the times they had. I will be praying for your friends and you as well.

15. Norcalnewb

Adam, I don't know that I can express how impressed I am with your shaving skills (or foolishness, you pick). I can't believe the finger shave was attempted. :happy096:

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I know next month is mayhem where you try something potentially stupid, but I think I am going to stay the course with the shavette for one more month.

It won't be a daily thing until I can get consistently decent shaves and my comfort level improves but I will try to use it more than I have this month where I was relegated to weekends. The rest of my time will most likely be spent with a tech.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful Picture Doug.

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

To be fair, I think we all started with Shavettes for Mayhem a few years ago.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My hat is off to you. I couldn't even imagine thinking much less trying this. :happy096:

20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Me too, but remember it didn't happen without pictures. Also, I'm sure this goes without saying, but I don't know that I'd discuss this again with Mrs. DryGulch until after the stupid human trick is complete, whether successfully or not. This seems obvious, and patronizing, but it's kind of a fair warning from your friend, like "We haven't checked how deep the water is under the bridge, but I think it's deep enough to jump. Go! "