Art of Shaving Sandalwood Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by bscarpenter, Jul 24, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I took advantage of 20% off Sale & stopped by my local AoS. I liked the scent of the sandalwood soap and it comes in a nifty wooden bowl. We were going out last night; I had 2 days growth & decided on a 3 pass shave with my new to me adjustable slim & this new soap applied with a boar brush that I am still breaking in.

The soap created a very rich lather with a subtle luxurious scent. 1st pass with the shaver set to 5 easily removed most of my stubble. I adjusted the shaver to 4, lathered up for the 2nd pass & the lather seemed even more rich. I noticed the shaver took more than one pass to remove the lather. I attributed this to the blade adjustment. I lathered for the 3rd pass & the shaver was not removing all of the lather.

I rinsed my face, finished up with some alum & lucky tiger splash on & examined my shaver. I found the blade gap gummed up with soap to the point that I had to remove the blade & wipe it off with a towel.

My take away:
    • AoS stuff is expensive even @ 20% off.
    • Sandalwood soap scent & lather is the most luxurious of any soap I have yet to use.
    • My technique needs work. I think I was not using enough water to make lather for my 2nd & 3rd pass causing my shaver to gum up.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I am not a fan of AOS products. They all seem overpriced and not as good as what I can get elsewhere. I tend to steer towards English companies like TOBS and T & H. When buying American, i like to go with artisans like stirling soaps and mama bear where i get better bang for the buck.

Fwiw, for sandlewood, I greatly prefer TOBS or proraso.

3. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

+1 for proraso red/sandalwood !!!

Spyder and Demidog like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The only AOS product I have is the old tallow Sandalwood puck. If the razor is getting gunked up you need to add a bit more water. The scent is exactly like Fine Santal Absolute aftershave which is nice if you are looking for a more inexpensive matching aftershave.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  5. bscarpenter

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to pick some up.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  6. bscarpenter

I've got an order enroute from Sterling. Will post a review next week.

7. Straight razor dandy

Now that's what im talking about!

I have to know: what did you get?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

No problem. The scent is an exact match IMO.

9. bscarpenter

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

11. Straight razor dandy

I love some Margaritas in the Artic. They tell me that they are going to mentholate their gin and tonic to make it a gin and tonic on the rocks. Im looking forward to that

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Even at 20% off, AoS is still overpriced.

Spyder and Straight razor dandy like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

+1.

Most American shave soaps are overpriced unless you are talking about artisan soaps.

14. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Anyone tried the Fine accoutrements soap? I love the smell of the AOS cream and was wondering how close is this one?

Santal Absolut.is a straight-forward sandalwood fragrance inspired by Sandalwood from The Art of Shaving (2004). More than any other, this scent proves that the right basenote requires little accompaniment.

Attached Files:

15. bscarpenter

Great call I ordered a bottle of the Fine Santal Absolut and it arrived yesterday. I haven't used it yet, but when I took a whiff of the AoS Sandalwood soap and the the Fine AS the scent paired amazingly well. Probably won't use it for another week or so. When I do I'll post up a review. Thanks for the info.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Jorvaljr like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have not tried the AOS non-tallow soaps but I have heard good things. The AOS with tallow is an excellent soap and I six pucks left I case the new formula is not as good.

imGrunt likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've tried the AOS soaps, and they are just as @bscarpenter described. But, the price is a little steep, for me, and the scent could be a little stronger. I find the Stirling soaps both affordable and have nice scents, at least the ones I like.

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. SHAVEWIZARD420

No problem. Hope you like it, the scent has good longevity.

19. Straight razor dandy

An interesting turn of events...

I scored a brand new art of shaving sandalwood 4 piece set at an estate sale today for only $4. Its has their pso, shaving cream, badger brush, and aftershave balm all in their sandalwood scent (except the brush, of course. That would be silly;)

Brand new, unopened... 4 bucks. I think AOS is largely overpriced... but not at a measly 4 clams. Come on! How could I pass this up?

Looks like I will be doing a pepsi challenge against all other sandalwoods in my wet shave den.

Shaver X and Keithmax like this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great score!