Ashdan Instruments Sterling Silver DE Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sarge, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

So I bought two of these razors, one for men and the other for woman. I know absolutely nothing these two, but for $20 apiece I took the chance.
    WP_20140402_003.jpg
    Woman on left, Mans on right
    WP_20140402_001.jpg
    A better view of the mans..............................womans
    WP_20140402_002.jpg
    So if anyone know anything about these I would appreciate it.

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The listing seems very shady: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ashdan-Instruments-Sterling-Silver-DE-Safety-Razor-/131145868585?nma=true&si=D%2BJOabExCpSd21nC%2F90%2FMvzFIsI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Tittle says they're sterling silver and the description says they're stainless steel? Sold by a seller with zero feedback.

The going price for silver is about $20 per oz. Sterling is like 90% silver. I doubt it... Stainless? take a magnet to it. If it isn't it must be silver... more likely pot metal...

Looks like an EJ head...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  3. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Google and Badger and Blade are both silent on these razors.

Amazon states: The Luxe by: Ashdan Instruments - 'stainless steel' double edge razor blades are very sharp, sanitary and economical shaving razor. Enjoy this Stylish DE razor at an affordable price. They are "just launched evidently. Looks like you got them for a decent price though.

AI.jpg

I look forward to your review.

4. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

So I just shaved with what is considered the mans razor using:
    Gillette Silver Blue Blade
    W.m. Neumann's Heartwood Shave Soap
    First off the extra long handle has heft yet it does feel balanced.
    This is a three piece razor and I had to use a little muscle to open it but had no other issues.
    So I will break it down share my opinion.
    WP_20140402_004.jpg
    As you can see the guides are not the prettiest and look like they are welded onto the head...
    WP_20140402_006.jpg
    The tray looks like any other, but you will see what loos like a burn mark on the center hole
    So I have to assume these have been drilled out to accept the handle. I is centered so I do not see any issues
    WP_20140402_007.jpg
    As you can see everything lines up and is tight. there is no side-to-side movement what so ever, and the blade is held in tight an din place.
    WP_20140402_005.jpg
    The handle is one piece stainless steel, and it does have some weight behind it which, for me is a plus
    The knurls help keep the razor from slipping ( I actually wetted my hands and soaped them up and shaved, no issues).
    WP_20140402_008.jpg
    The full razor put together.
    So how did it do overall?
    Not bad at all. The razor sang as the blade cut the stubble, which I like hearing from a razor.
    The weight was enough that I did not have to apply any pressure. I just let the razor do the walking.
    I did WTG and ATG not just once but 3 times each, just begging this razor to fail, but it held the blade tight and no weepers were present.
    Nicks were there but I knew I was over doing the shave, but I was surprised that the alum block did not sting more; but I believe the
    Gillette Silver Blue blades are more forgiving then some others.
    So the final issue, cost; for the $20.50 I got each one for, $41 for both it was not a bad deal, any more than $30, I would not touch them since the workmanship does
    not warrant anything over that.
    That is my review:)

Misphit and gorgo2 like this.