Astra Keramik

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jabberwock, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get some Astray Keramik blades? I have heard some good reviews of these blades, but can't seem to find them anywhere. Are they even still in production?

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

They're no longer in production, you'll probably have to keep your eye out on auction sites or ForSale threads on forums for them.

NoobShaver likes this.
  3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

The company that made Astra Keramics currently produces Astra SP blades. I don't know how one compares to the other, but I can say Astra SPs work well for me. I bought 100 of the SP something like 6 months ago and I still love them.

4. jabberwock

Yeah, I saw the reviews mostly in comparison to the other Astra blades...figures I would find something that is highly rated and interests me after they stop making it. Oh well, I have some of the blue Astras coming to me soon, so maybe those will make me happy.

AGAIN with the auto-correct! What is an Astray anyway? I hate auto-correct, it is so efficient at altering stuff that I don't even notice it until it is too late...sigh.

JRod22 likes this.
  5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Don't forget that even highly rated blades may not specifically work for you. Sampler packs are the best route, however more shavers than not, tend to love: Astra Superior Platinum, Polsilver Super Iridium, Gillette 7 o'clock Blue. The trick is finding the blade that works best for you, as long as it's in production otherwise it can get very expensive, quickly; like how Personna 74's can sell for upwards of $3/blade

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When I saw the thread title, I thought this was a thread about German Ceramic Ashtrays or something...

JRod22 likes this.
  7. jabberwock

Heh, yeah I had to blink a couple of times when I realized what I ended up posting as a header.

I know that even really highly rated blades may not work out for me, I just want to give as many good blades a try as possible so as to maximize my potential pool of choices. Honestly, I hope that Derbys or Sharks or some other low cost blade ends up being my happiness blade. With my luck it will end up being some obscure blade that goes out of production the day after I find it.