Astra SP's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigT, Dec 26, 2013.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

BamaT likes this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I tried them and thought they were junk. But most platinum coated blades don't agree with me.

I like Personna Labs and Viking Sword blades.

3. richgem

Blasphemer! :p

BamaT, Shamrock and offroad64 like this.
  4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

My gosh. What do you do with all those blades? Are you one of those dooms day prepers? lol

BamaT and Shamrock like this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You never know when your favorite blade will get discontinued. :)

BamaT, Shamrock, tuxxdk and 1 other person like this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Very good answer! When I first started shaving in the early 70's I used Gillette and Schick blades. You could buy them everywhere. I wish I could have seen the future, I would have bought $1000 dollars worth of them.

7. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Never fails what razor I throw one into, works great.

8. richgem

Like they said... you never know when your favorite blade is going to be discontinued or have its specs changed for the worse. I'll cite Derby blades as an example. Great when they first came out over here and were recommended for newbies ... then something changed and they became not so great/bad.

You say that like there's something wrong with having enough blades for 25 years worth of shaves. I'm only 44, after all. :D Hmmm... I plan on living longer than that. Maybe it's time to buy some more. :rofl:

BamaT, 178-bplatoon and BigT like this.
  9. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

Used Astras for quite some time and never a complaint. However, recently, came across a Gillette Silver Blue in a sampler I had laying around and the Astras are now in second place

Cool Breeze and BigT like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

A small stockpile perhaps, but I keep finding other,better blades
    300 Astra SP
    300 Viking's Swords with another 100 on the way
    300 PolSilver Super Iridiums
    2oo BlueBirds
    100 Astra SS
    100 Voskhods
    about 75 assorted other blades...:)

BigT likes this.
  11. richgem

That's better. ;)

BigT likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

Well like I said I keep finding other blades I like that I need to buy in bulk, also I'm like 60 and just had open heart surgery last year so I figure I probably need a few less blades....:happy097:

13. richgem

You should really think about your grandchildren and buy some more. I mean, they need good shaves too, don't they?

BamaT, Shamrock and 178-bplatoon like this.
  14. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I have a pack of Vikings in my testing rotation...think I'll try them next based on your post. Thanks for the heads up.

15. 178-bplatoon

Based on my experience with both Astra SP and Viking's Sword if you like the Astra SP's I think you'll really enjoy the Viking's..:)

Shamrock likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

You should think about trying Ladas blades. To me, YMMV, they are sharp and exceptionally smooth, but somewhat shorter lived than my Astra SPs or Labs; I get 3 good shaves, could probably stretch it to 4. About 1 shave less for the Ladas, but they are so smooth they're worth it for me. Smoother than Labs to me.

17. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

In my original sampler several years ago, Astra was the best of the bunch. Part of that was the sampler had relatively low-end blades. Today, after several years of trial and error, Astra's rank near the bottom relative to choices such as Polsilver, 7-Oclocks Blue and Yellow, Rapira, Rapira Lux, Feather, Voskhod, Crystal, and Super Max Super Stainless. Few of these, if any, were in my original sample pack. I tried most of these one pack at a time based on favorable reviews here and my own performance with them. To every rule there are exceptions however. I gambled and bought 400 Voskhods without ever having tried them. Fortunately I like them.

18. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe the great price on these beauties when I first saw it (on Amazon of all places!). Plenty sharp and very comfortable IMO.

19. 178-bplatoon

Hi BamaT I just checked my assorted blade stash and there it was a pack of Ladas..So based on your recomendation they one will be getting a work out this week, starting tomorrow...Wish me luck and thanks for the suggestion...:)

[Edit] I tried the Ladas for two days :( Unfortunately they didn't like my face, I am however glad they were brought to my attention, that I had a pack in my blade stash and I was able to give them a try..:happy088:

BamaT likes this.
  20. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I tried a Viking's Sword last night, and it produced a BBS shave for me (My normal 3 passes) :) It was only the first shave with them, and I have to see how they do on multiple shaves, but they impressed me out of the gate anyway. Thanks for the tip.