Astra Super Platinum. New design or fakes?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dh0licious, Nov 26, 2017.

1. dh0licious

dh0licious New Member

Hi guys,

Been a member for years here and first time posting.

I've recently stocked up on a new 100 pack of Astra Super Platinum blades through eBay. Everything looked perfectly fine and normal until I unwrapped the first blade.

That's when I saw what appears to be either a fake blade or a newly designed Astra Superior Platinum. What are your thoughts?

PACKET ON THE LEFT: The last packet of the previous stock I was holding.
    PACKET ON THE RIGHT: New suspicious stock I've just bought off eBay.

You can see the text on the right is now hollow, and there is no numbering like there is on the blade on the left (the numbers 1 and 2):
    Astra 1.jpg

Absolutely nothing on the rear of the new blade. Also no numbering like the original blade on the left (the numbers 3 and 4):
    Astra 2.jpg

I also compared the 5-pack card-board packing which I've included in the above pictures and everything looks identical, word for word. It is only the blades that look sus.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Apparently the same stuff from amazon.

[​IMG]

Enrico likes this.
  3. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Did you compare the shave yet?

Enrico likes this.
  4. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

The S in the blade on the right is suspicious to me. It does not look professionally inscribed. As if someone unfamiliar with that letter made the mold for the type. That screams counterfeit to me.

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

It looks exactly like the one on the left to me, just not filled in.

But I'm just a frog!

Enrico likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

With over 25 years of QA/QC experience; it's not just the lettering that that can prove a product is counterfeit. Looking over the packaging, the cut of the blade, liner paper and the glue spots; follow this up with a shave of the blade. I'd lay bets it's just cost cutting. ;)

TobyC and LuvWetShavin like this.
  7. Morman Bridge

But it's not the same, Toby. Look at the scraggly outer line of the S at the bottom, in the first photo. The blade on the right. It seems as if the person who penned that letter was shaky. Uncertain. It's the S in the word Astra. At the bottom of the letter.

8. Morman Bridge

[​IMG]

See the numbers that are on this flap of the pack on the right? The first ten numbers could be a phone number. I would be willing to bet they are from China or Vietnam. If they are, I call counterfeit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I looked in a directory for St Petersburg Russia ... looks legit.

10. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I'd say just give it a shave or three. If there's no change in performance, what's the difference if it's a reproduction or a genuine Astra? Chinese-made Schick injector blades perform very well for me.

Now if you scalp yourself raw after the first pass, may want to ask a question or two of the seller...

11. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Shave with them, they may be new & improved ... who know's :)

RyX and TobyC like this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty of awful printing on perfectly good blades, Personna is a good example of that. I would shave with one and see what happens.

Astra 1 (1).jpg Astra 1.jpg

Both look rough to me.

13. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Good example with the Personnas, @TobyC.

Lab Blues are my DE blade of choice, and the last batch I received looked like a 2nd grader scribbled the logo on with a dull Sharpie marker. Still shaved buttery smooth as always, so I just went on with my life.

RyX and TobyC like this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I agree..just give them a try. They might be just updating the look for marketing purposes...

15. Morman Bridge

I stand corrected! Good Show Enrico! Thank You for checking it out.

TobyC likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I try to help when I can. :)

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well, it still has the glue globs. That makes it authentic to me, HA!

Enrico and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Dilly! Dilly!

sdguero likes this.
  19. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I posed this same question some time ago as the printing on the last blade from a tuck and the 1st blade of a new tuck looked different. Purchased from a reputable vendor. The new blade's printing looked sloppy. However, there is printing on both sides and the numbers are there too. The good news is that the performance is identical.

Astra compare.JPG

AGHisBBS, jtspartan and sdguero like this.
  20. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I picked up 100 of them from Amazon a short while back, and the imprinting looks like the ones on the right (in the first photo of the thread). I also wondered if they were counterfeit. If they are, they’re very good ones! They shave absolutely fine! I’m already a few tucks into the pack and had no reason to believe they’re anything but genuine. I have a feeling that they just changed the imprint.

AGHisBBS, RyX, TobyC and 1 other person like this.