Astra Superior Platinum

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by rbaloha, Nov 3, 2008.

1. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Purchased a pack from Gio after reading favorable comments.

Used a merkur slant. Super lathered with Musgo, Col. Conk almond and Specik soaps.

Cuts closely (not as close as a feather) with no razor burn. After trying Sharp and Treet blades this is clearly superior and a nice change of pace blade to a feather. Leaves face fresh and soft.

Price is comparable to lower priced blades but outperforms many of them. Might be better than Derbys.

2. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

My No. 1 blade

These are my No. 1 blade. I just received 100 on a group buy, popped one into my Fatboy and got 5 great to good shaves. That's the best performance I've had from any of the dozen or so blades I've tried to date. The runner up is Crystal at 4 shaves.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My favorite blade

Sharp - At that "as sharp as I want it" point. Not quite feather sharp
    Longevity - Lasts as long as any other blade I've tried
    Skin Friendly - Smooth or smoother than any other blade
    Quality - Top notch
    Price - Excellent for this level of blade.

4. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

there are better blades available

The blade is sharp enough, that's for sure -- hairs were mowed down with ease.

But the blade did not feel especially smooth on my skin. So much so that I did not want to continue using it, despite the sharpness, and reasonable price.

OH, and they have the WORST machine oil smell I've seen from a blade to date. The Gillette 7's do not have this, and the swedes have a smell that is much more mild. Horrible smell. Almost would not use again for this reason alone.

I used this in a Feather Portable razor, and personally prefer a smoother blade such as a Swedish Gillette, Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge, or Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp.

Cheers.

J

5. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Price- 100 blades for $20 shipped to my door. Not bad at all.

Quality- They seem to be consistent in that I've never had a bad blade.

Sharpness- Simply great. They may not be as sharp as my favorite (Feather), but they are pretty darn close.

Longevity- I get three reliable shaves from them. That's all I ask from any blade including my beloved Feather.

Smoothness- Excellent. They provide a shave as close and smooth as anything out there.

Packaging- Plastic container that is not environmentally friendly. There are four small blobs of glue that hold the blade to the wrapper. They are annoying, but not a deal - breaker.

These are my #2 blade just behind Feather. They seem to provide a very nice shave at a reasonable cost. A much better shave than what I was getting from my first blades (Derby).

6. djwurm

djwurm New Member

The answer to my prayers!

i have finally found the answer for the question I have had for over a year. Is there a blade as sharp and as good as the feather that is cheaper? That answer has finally come to me in the form of Astra Superior Platinums

Sharpness: 9
    Astra's blow all other blades away in this category except feathers. feathers seem to be a little sharper than this blade but not by much. Only a small pulling effect with a really thick beard was felt on the first WTG pass but was soon gone after a few strokes.

Longevity: 10
    3 shaves with any blade is standard for me and these lasted 3 shaves over the last 2 days.

Skin Friendly: 10:
    No complaints in this department. Skin felt smooth with no nicks or burn. My face actually feels better after shaving with these than with feathers.

Quality: 10
    Comes in a nice plastic case just as the feathers.

Price: 10
    This is were I am super happy! 5 for $1.50 or 100 for $29 on razor and brush is alot cheaper than feathers. I have finally found what I have been looking for over the past year, a cheaper yet just as good replacement for the feather.

7. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

They are good blades, but do not belong to major league.

8. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I really like these blades. They are not as sharp as my feathers but they are a good smooth blade. I gave them a 6 in the quality area because I have noticed that I always seem to get a bad blade or 2 in each pack.

9. rainman

rainman New Member

Thanks to BullGoose, A Review

I received a free 5 pack of these blades in a drawing held by BullGoose. Thanks to him, I was able to try these blades since I have bought way to many blades lately to justify buying anymore at the time. BTW, he also sells these blades for the best price I've seen on the net. Onto the review:

Sharpness: These blades feel very similiar to Feathers IMO.

Longevity: For me, four shaves is a must and these meet that mark.

Skin-Friendly: I didn't sense any anger or disrespect.

Quality: Sharp blade that holds it edge.

Price: For what you get, a very good price.

Highly recommended blade. In sharpness vs. price there is no equal.

Razors/blades combinations tried:

Gillette: 47 Aristocrat, Tech, Fatboy, Redtip, Super Adjustable, Old Type, NEW
    Merkur: HD, Progress, Slant
    Lord: Tech Clone
    Vincent: A Weishi Clone

Blades: Lord super stainless, Derby Extra, IP's, Red IP's, Dorco ST300 & ST301, Feather, Astra Superior, Bic, Sharp, 7 AM, Gillette Blue 1947's, Vincent, Merkur Platinum

10. CloseShaver

CloseShaver Member

Astra Blade

A great blade at a pretty good value. It's not as sharp as a feather, but it does the job well, as it comfortably glides across my face, I think the feather is too sharp. I did not get nicked up. This blade is definitely:) in the top three for me.

11. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

I also got these blades free from Bullmoose.
    I am new to DE shaving. These blades are friendly to the skin and sharp although I have not yet tried the Feathers. Longevity does not really apply to me since I replace my blade after the second shave. Blades are cheap and I skip a day between shaves.

12. sas71

sas71 Member

Just not sure if i like these or not

Well first off thanks to BullGoose for sending me a pack of these.

I only tried 1 pack/5 blades so im not an expert on these blades by any means and these are my opinions only.

These blades are very wallet friendly. I got up to 7 shaves (might could have gotten more) per blade. They are sharp, never tried Feathers but they are just a tick under the Gillette yellows for the sharpness. Out of the 5 pack i had 2 blades that felt jagged or rough and i didnt look forward to the next days shave. My face wasnt tore up or anything. I may have just gotten a few blades that were bad so take this with a grain of salt. When I do another blade order I more than likely will give these another go at some point and time but I'm glad I didnt buy a big box of these before trying them YMMV.

Razor used was a '65 SS

thanks again to BullGoose for sending me these.

13. Mort4Cy

Mort4Cy New Member

My barber, and shave supplier, recommended these blades yesterday. I was very happy with my shave this morning. I had been using Derby's and the Astra's give me a closer shave that seems to last longer through the day. I have officially found my new favorite blade. I'm so glad that The Groom Room carries them.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Great blade. I like 'em.

By the way, you can get them at TSD Store and support the Den at the same time!
    (go ahead and buy some soap, while you're at it. Sooner or later you're gonna need more soap :biggrin:)

Oh, yeah - Welcome to the Den!

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Somewhat smoother and face-friendlier than Voshkod (itself a decent blade) when first shaves are compared, and blows Derby outta the tub.

16. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Astra SP is my go to blade most of the time.

Adequately sharp and quite comfortable in my Merkur razors. There are sharper blades, but it is up there on the sharp end of things. I've only found a couple of blades more comfortable, but most of them are not sharp enough.