Astra

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dgcrell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

WTF?!?!?

Shep, you have never used a real GIllette Platinum? My God, Son!! You seriously need to get a pack and try them. You may never want to use another blade!!

2. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I've got a pack of Astras due any time now. Hopefully today. Should really give a fresh blade a go tomorrow no matter what. May as well be an Astra.

Now, as to what to try it in?

3. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Mine work well in my Fatboy. I would suggest a relatively aggressive razor if you don't have a Fatboy.

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Just put one in a Krona this morning. It was a very nice shave.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've found the Astra the only blade that shines in every razor I own. I'd have 3 or 4 others if it weren't for the Fatboy, that razor is very picky about blades.

6. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Good thing I just got myself a fatboy then. ;)

7. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Astras work pretty well in my slant. Initial shave is wonderful but subsequent ones not so wonderful.

Better than derbys, sharps, gillette blacks and greens and 7ams.

However the gillette yellows are clearly a better value.

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I think the Astras are on par with the gillette yellows. The astras are a much better value at ~$20 to your door for 100.

9. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Tried one this morning in my fatboy @5. First go for both razor and blade. I got a little dragging along my jawline which I'll attribute to noobness, but I'd call the results excellent. Just about my best shave in my brief DE career. Take that with a grain of salt, because my point of reference is a '56 Blue blade, a couple of Wally World Personnas, and a couple of '80 "Spoiler" Super Stainless. So call this my first time with a "proper" blade. :)

10. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

5 is the setting I use on my Fatboy. On my face, it works well for most blades, including the Astras.

BTW, love the Don Cherry avatar!

11. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

IMO the yellows last twice as long as the Astras thus the better value. Believe 100 yellows can be shipped to your door for under $40.

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

how do you clean the wrapper glue off the edge of ASPs?

I do like the ASPs. I have one beef though - actually not sure it is a beef really. The wrappers are glued on with those round spots of glue. Sometimes the glue is misaligned and ends up on the edge of the blade. I find it tricky to clean off - I cut myself once and now I am a little 'blade shy' when doing it. I use an alcohol swab when I run into this (one in 6 blades maybe has glue on the edge)

Anybody find this a problem? How do you clean it off?

13. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Gave the Astra a go in the Red Tip yesterday morning. That was the best shave yet. Damn sight better than the Derby/slim combo I used today. It's on my short list for when I decide to do a bulk buy.