Awesome Score Today!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by flyboy718, Sep 20, 2014.

1. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Scored a Fatboy E-1, Flare tip F-1 and a New Gillette open comb gold plated 3 piece. All $5 each! How do I go about cleaning up this open comb gold plated?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Chris at Razor Plate is doing some great work!

Edit: Oops! I thought you meant replated. Which may become an option as well as time goes on.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very carefully. Do not apply the metal polish as it will harm the gold finish. Mild soap (such as dish soap) and a fairly soft cloth. Don't be over vigorous with the scrubbing as gold plating is quite thin.
    Congrats on the big score!

ObiDon, Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

5. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Can use Scrubbing Bubbles on the gold plated? I'ts not really gold plated it is something else right?[​IMG] [​IMG]

TitanTTB, 178-bplatoon and Boojum1 like this.
  6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

That's gold plating son.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice. My NEW looked a lot like that. I had it plated and what a difference. One of my favorite shavers.
    new_plated0a.jpg

Shotwell likes this.
  8. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Awesome! How much is this baby worth? And how do I disinfect it?

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wow! What a difference. Very nice upgrade.

10. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Used a toothebrush and scrubbed it real good with toothepaste and it looks nice and clean now...has plating loss on it in a few places and on top has speckled dark areas and one good dark area where looks like all finish is gone.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Fantastic score!! You must have found them in the wild correct? The gold plate is real gold albeit "VERY" thinly plated, so be gentle with your cleaning and polishing. One nice thing about the NEW is if the gold plating does all comes off the copper and brass will polish up really nicely on their own.:)

12. Razorsnake

Razorsnake New Member

Very nice find .

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Scrubbing Bubbles will disinfect just about every conceivable pathogen one would find on a piece of metal.

14. Mikefoster75

Mikefoster75 New Member

I found kaboom works wonders

15. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Thanks guys...what year and about how much is it worth? I just like to know these things so I can show them off and explain

16. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Wow! What a shave! Easily my new favorite razor right now. She cleaned up real nice I will have to get a pic of her all clean. I think I am going to call the antique shop I got these at tomorrow and get the other one that was with it. It was in pretty rough shape though.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's worth whatever someone pays for it. ;)

Shotwell and BigMark like this.
  18. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

You got an amazing deal on the Fatboy, obviously.

19. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

:angry019: (This is the closest I could find to an "envy" icon.)

20. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Cleaned up pic...
    [​IMG] I called the antique shop I got it from because there was another one and it was kinda rough looking, I told them $3.00 and they have it on hold for me so we will see if I can get it decent looking...or replate it at a later date.

Mr. Shaverman and BigMark like this.