B&M; to bloom, or not to bloom?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Lo'Gosh, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

So, until recently, I never bloomed my soaps. For whatever reason, I decided to let my Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood bloom while I showered a week or so ago; and when I used it, I noticed it loaded easier and made an even better lather than usual. So, I started blooming all my soaps before use. However when I did so with my Barrister & Mann Lavanda; it was all......goopey, when I went to load it up. Didn't seem to have any real effect for good or for bad; but it was odd. Anyone else ever have that problem with blooming B&M? Any thoughts on weather it should be allowed to bloom, or be used without doing so?

2. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I bloom most soaps, including B&M in the recent formulation. For me it eases loading and lathering, and one simply has to control how wet the brush is. I.e., when blooming, make sure the brush is drier than when not blooming. I( prefer my lather thick and verging on 'goopey', sort of like a runny sundae, with as little air as possible.

The answer to the question might depend on what sort of brush you use too -- hair type, density, backbone. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteboy_cannon, Bobcat and Lo'Gosh like this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Bloom?

And what sort of flowers may it grow?

Wetting your soap works well with most soaps for me, especially with the triple milled hard stuff.

Bobcat and swarden43 like this.
  4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I don't bloom softer Italian style soaps. Only hard milled ones

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! :angry032:

battle.munky likes this.
  6. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

:signs002:

7. swarden43

BLOOM!!! Where did this term for soaking a puck come from?!?!?! Call it what it is - soaking the puck. You soak the puck. You put the soap in your mug, add water to cover it, then let it sit for a while. That is soaking!!! People have no problem saying they soak their brush; everyone knows what that means. I've seen too many newbies ask, "what the heck is 'blooming' a puck?" When someone has to ask the meaning of an act that can simply be defined with a word EVERYONE knows and understands, it's time to get rid of the word in question.

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Pet peeve tangent of the day. Achieved!:p I find no need to soak any of my soaps, chances are you were just a little dry in building your lather and the extra soaking of the puck allowed you to incorporate a little more moisture in the lather. As for the B&M question presented, I have no idea. I haven't got to try a B&M soap yet

9. swarden43

I don't soak any of my soaps, either.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

I bloom all my soaps. :D The only B&M soap I have is Seville (adding more soon) and I never have that issue when I bloom it. Throw the bloom water on the face and go to town with a damp brush. Never any issues. Hope it works out for you soon.

Erik Redd and Robyflexx like this.
  11. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Same for me

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I do not bloom any soaps. I find it unnecessary and it could damage the soap if it doesn't dry properly. Some people say it makes it easier to lather, so if you are having problems getting a good lather then it may help, but too much excess water could change the consistency of the soap (this happened with my MLS sandalwood pre shave butter).

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

On the matter of damaging the soap from blooming. Sorry, soaking!

I thought I had a ruined a CRSW, and I thought it might be due to soaking. It cracked and flaked and basically looked as if the ingredients did not agree with each other. Not sure what the term is but it did the opposite of emulgate, I guess. Larry from CRSW told me to SOAK it overnight, pour off water and gently swirl with my finger across the entire surface, and leave it to dry. It worked! I took it to mean that it had dried out and needed more water regularly. It was a while since I had used it. In conclusion: it could be that SOAKING in fact improves things :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarden43 likes this.
  14. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Indeed. It could be one of those simple YMMV situations; but I've noticed that MWF works WAY better after soaking. And I mean soaking, like a full day, lol.

InspiringK and Halvor like this.
  15. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the soap and how you use it. Soaking the soap makes it easier to load your brush, to lather on your face or in another bowl, but soaking a soap to lather in the soap bowl, might make it too wet to achieve a good lather, without bubbles, especially if it was a soft soap.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

18. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

A little tip, don't pour off that bloom water. Use it to wet your face before you lather up. Works quite nicely.

ninjack likes this.
  19. swarden43

It's not "bloom water", it's soap broth! :happy102:

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I like to do my rinses in the soap broth from time to time, it is a good way to check the slickness of a soap.

Robyflexx likes this.