Back to Old Spice..

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Turk, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I currently have a few others around the house but find myself continuing to use the Old Spice. I figure most likely it's memories of my grandfather and then my dad wearing old spice. I would knew when he was going to work as that's when he put his Old Spice on. It's a memory and apparently carried now to my life. Now how does a guy get some of the Old Spice made before Shulton took it on? Would love to smell the difference.

TestDepth and cliffb599 like this.
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I have the same fond memory’s. I also would like to try the OLD old spice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

June 1990 is when Proctor & Gamble purchased Old Spice from Shulton.
    You can buy Old Spice made in India that is supposed to be the old formula but not everyone agrees that it is the same.

www.oldspicecollectibles.com is a good source to learn how to recognize pre-1990 bottles.
    I've picked up vintage juice on eBay and in antique stores.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shulton is around but you do have to go hunting and know the various bottles it can be found in (not all are buoys).

What's also around, but invariably harder to find, is Avon's Brisk Spice from the '80s. Everyone who has tried it says it's 99% identical to Shulton (Avon's thing was cloning popular men's fragrances at different times...some were closer than others but Brisk was a home run). I've done side-by-sides and could barely tell the difference so it's the closest duplicate I've ever found. It often came in a really nicely done locomotive bottle but might have been released in others.

Avon's earlier Spicy from the '60s is more commonly found and is about 75-90% similar to Shulton, depending on who you ask...more than close enough to pass, imo. And for some very weird reason, none of Avon's old frags seem to get noticeably weak or (except the occasional Oland) go "bad".

The various knockoffs available today (Vi-John, Blue Cross, etc) are about 50-75% similar, again depending on who you ask, but all still acceptable compromises. Some guys dislike them, most seem not to, but they're close enough that there's no mistaking what they're imitating. If they were all I had I would wear them with no problem, and wouldn't think twice before refilling my big buoy with them when the Shulton runs out.

I have not tried the Indian O.S. I've checked a few Indian groceries in my area in the hopes of finding shaving stuff but no one carries anything.

What I cannot recommend, if I may offer a closing opinion, is actual current Old Spice. By comparison it's shamefully awful and everything listed above beats it hands down.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    RyX, Yehuda D and TestDepth like this.
  5. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I would suggest Oud Spice by PAA.
    I just got some of that Friday and it smells amazing.
    It is very much the shulton old spice with the addition of oud.
    I am done searching for the original formula because this one really satisfies my old spice desires.
    Highly recommended!

RyX, Yehuda D and cliffb599 like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've tried about everything that has been said to smells like vintage Shulton Old Spice. The India made Old Spice no longer smells like the Shulton formula. Projector & Gamble put a halt to that.
    Only Shulton Old Spice smells like Shulton Old Spice. Avon Spicy is one of my favorite scents, and it smells somewhat similar, but different too. It's very good, and relatively inexpensive, on eBay.
    Avon Brisk is similar to Shulton Old Spice, but hard to find, and usually expensive, most of the time.
    For now, if you can purchase a 4 3/4 oz bottle of Shulton Old Spice, for under $15 including shipping, that's a good deal. I know nothing about the Phoenix Artisans Accoutrements(PAA) Spice. Only that it's $24.95 + shipping, for 3.5 oz. Very pricy.
    So, for me, if you want the "True Old Spice" scent, buy the real stuff. It's not getting any cheaper, or more plentiful.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've got the giant old buoy which is still over 1/2 full. Sometimes I think I'd be best served by putting it in the freezer for 20 years and selling it when pretty much all remaining Shulton has been used up. I figure if it smells as good as it does sitting on various shelves in normal temps for 50 years, freezing it shouldn't hurt either.

RyX, Yehuda D and cliffb599 like this.
  8. DaltonGang

I have some Shulton Old spice, from 1956-1957, and it smells just as good as the stuff produced in the late 1980's to 1992(Pre P&G shenanigans). If stored away, from direct sunlight, and away from heat, it should last a longtime.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yehuda D and John Beeman like this.
  10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

June 1990. A year that will live in infamy. :(

RyX, John Beeman and Primotenore like this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I bid $24 and was high bid for awhile but I wasn't able to get back to the auction while I was working this morning. I'm curious what kind of limit the winning bidder had since he only paid $24.50.

Primotenore and Yehuda D like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I hate losing something for $.50. The winning bidder might have bid $30. I once got an item for $.01 more than the highest bidder. :p

RyX, John Beeman and Yehuda D like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

andnowwehaveabidforfifty cents, talkinaboutfiftycentsanyonefor51?goingonce,twice,SOLD.

Primotenore likes this.
  14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I scored a bottle of Shulton Old Spice Splash, I don't know how different this was to the AS at the time. It does smell like the current P&G produced AS. Those that say it doesn't should post photos of both of their versions.

15. DaltonGang

I'm not familiar with the Splash, only the Shulton Aftershave Lotion, Cologne, Lime, and Fresh Lime.