Bad razor burn with injector

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Sensordude, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Sensordude

Sensordude Member

Hi, i need help with shaving with an injector. I recently received my first injector, an i2 hydromatic, and preceded to prep and shave.

I have used the same prep as i usually have for my de or cartridge razors (vintage tech, two new parker des, trac 2, mach 3, sensor, and feather mr3 neo) which is: wash face with mud soap, hot towel two minutes, proraso preshave, proraso shaving cream on omeaga boar brush, with hazel and an aftershave balm.

This prep results in an almost irritant free shave. Now when i shaved with the injector, with new chinese schick blades, it resulted in nadty razor burn. I used very little pressure and had the head almost flat-i also checked that the blade was aligned. Can anyone help me?
    Note: i have very course whiskers and sensitive neck. I tried googling razor burn with injectors but no such luck, plus everyone seems to say they are very mild razors. Thanks

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Your thing you may wish to check is the blade alignment. Injectors are famous for not having the blade completely inserted behind the blade stops resulting in uneven blade exposure.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's a fairly mild injector you have there as far as Schick Injectors go...I don't know if the injector was empty when you got it...:signs002:....That's important because Schick injectors were not designed to be loaded when empty...They came from the factory with a blank in place for that reason...If you got one that was empty its best practice to load a blade & then Load another to eject the first one...You are now good to go...The first blade is likely to run across the blade stops and blunt it...:p

Other than that...You have to be careful loading injectors because the blade can run across the stops without due care & attention...As the Gent mentioned above..Ensure that the blade is seated in the stops correctly...Moreover..I have said these are Mild Injectors...That said they can & will burn the face off you if your technique is not correct...These are not Cartridge Razors & shouldn't be treated as such..The Hydro is a very user friendly Injector...If you were not aware with the issues I mentioned about loading a blade then I would inject another with the advice above...:)

It just could be down to technique though...The head should be put flat against the face & drop the handle until you feel & hear it cutting...Don't do anything else...Some folks mess around with angles & stuff & overcomplicate the simplicity of injectors..Its a case of less is more..;)

Billy...:chores016:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Red Rider and DonMac like this.
  4. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Well said.
    When loading an empty injector razor, I have several old blades that I hand load into an injector, insert the key into the razor and load the razor with the old blade, I then load a new blade into the razor which now aligns fine.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

those guys gave perfect advice....So all I have to add is...If you follow their advice you should be cool....and also remember that your Schick is alot lighter than the razors you are used to...so make sure you don't compensate by using a little more pressure than you might think you are using....Thats very easy to do because the razor is so light...

The I2; as Billy said; is a mild injector....as long as you use it with a light touch....After you get to know each other a little better you can just zip around your face with reckless abandon...But until then, light touch...this razor is also very intuitive...so follow the sound Luke and enjoy...I bet you're gonna love it!

And let us know how your next shave goes....and also drop by the "Injector and SE Party" thread: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/page-210#post-937848
    Theres a ton of injector lovers and their razors waiting to help, and welcome you to the fold....CU there...

Billyfergie and DonMac like this.
  6. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Another well said post!

Billyfergie and Bird Lives like this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'll add this to some reaaly great advice already posted.
    You need a 30 day with it.
    That Schick is a different animal than what you've been using. I'm not an injector guy, I own one, but seldom use it. When I do, I usually need 2 or 3 shaves to get back my technique.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'm with DonMac here, of the 6 different Schick injectors I've owned none including a very efficient Canadian E3 gave me razor burn. The best razors for shaving under the nose due to their small head size for me.

DonMac and Billyfergie like this.
  9. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

What He said!

Billyfergie likes this.