Barbaros & Rocnel "B&R" Adjustable Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scott.ostermille, Nov 11, 2016.

?

After watching this, would you consider buying the B&R?

1. Absolutely

10.7%
  2. Probably

7.1%
  3. Eh...

10.7%
  4. Probably Not

28.6%
  5. No way

42.9%
  1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

All very well put.

youngunn likes this.
  2. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

He spent a lot of time in the video essentially saying the razor is a plain Jane, but I think it's beautiful. Nice, clean lines. I like the way the safety bar is shaped. If there is one aesthetic complaint, it would be that the handle looks a bit too fat for the razor. However, functionally, I enjoy a wider handle, so I think function over form isn't a bad idea.

I don't know that I'll fork over that much money to have one of these, but I will certainly consider doing so. Maybe I can move some of my lesser-used razors to get some extra cash. I find it very appealing. YMMV.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So that machinist simply copied someone else's design and made some aluminum clones? Woo-hoo :)

Tell him I would probably have some 'choice words' for what his opinions are worth in the context of pricing a newly designed adjustable razor that isn't, well, an aluminum head clone :)

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011: +1

PickledNorthern and Darkbulb like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

And how many clones are out there that people buy, a lot. We're talking about how many hours it takes to machine parts. And his were done for a razor company, but they wanted machined heads for a certain group, not zanac ones that they sell. And yeah, it's was from a company that people here have bought their razors. They claim 15 hours to machine and polish a head. Even to me that doesn't sound right. It wouldn't be cost effective.

Shaver X, Screwtape and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. jimjo1031

I agree, if people can get great shaves say with vintage Gillette adjustables, even Futur and Merkur adjustables, why buy something that'll cost many times more. Besides I'd rather wait for the expected Parker adjustable. At least they sell their products at reasonable prices.

7. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I started my career in manufacturing and was educated with a BS in manufacturing engineering. I worked developing machined, injected, extruded, forged, welded, plated, and cast assemblies and components. Many were high precision and automotive safety related with very tight tolerances.

I agree with you on the hours. Seems extremely excessive to claim each razor requires 12 hrs CNC time for just to produce one and only one head. Multiple heads must be produced at the same time because you couldn't cover 12 hrs of a decent CNC time with the final selling price of one razor. It is not how long 1 piece is in the process, but how many non-defective pieces you yield during that time. For example, it could take days to produce one car, but many factories can produce 60 cars per hour. The manufacturing costs are not defined by each car taking days, it is defined by how many roll off the line per hour. Sure there is WIP (Work in Progress) costs, but this is a small expense to consider for something like a razor head during CNC machining time. I am sure it is very costly to produce, design, market & distribute these limited demand products. That is not the point I am trying to make - only how one defends the cost with figures that do not make sense. I am sure the costs are there and the machining is expensive.

Whatever the cost, the end price has to be marketable. For me, the price is too high for what this razor offers and not in my budget. For those without objections - go for it if you are interested. I appreciate any company that brings brings good products to our community and wish them luck. Not all products are made or marketed for me and I can accept that. I am very happy with those that meet my requirements for purchase, including other higher priced razors.

In the end, I hope everyone is happy with their businesses and purchases.

youngunn, Demidog, Shaver X and 6 others like this.
  8. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

me too...I already have my eye's set on the parker (pending actual cost).

jimjo1031 and Redfisher like this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

12 to 15 hours made in this machine shop in Turkey T4pbike_circular_saw.jpg

Demidog and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

That was a very thoughtful response. I agree with everything you said.

11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I can't beat those guy's prices in the photo above. I believe it is Borat on the left, and Hussein on the right. Any machinist who uses electricity has to charge more than pedal powered machines. :happy108::happy108::p:cool::cool::p:cool::cool:

12. jimjo1031

All I see is a funny picture, which people post on other threads.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  14. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

you do understand that just about every feather AC bladed razor made is copying the same 2 or 3 patents?

Shaver X, PLANofMAN and Carbide Mike like this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Given that other stainless steel razors are in the ballpark pricewise, it would not make sense to praise them and then slight the B&R solely on its price.

Now you have seen it happen:
    * Ikon #101 - $70
    * Rockwell Model T - $99
    * Blackland Blackbird - $144

All far below the $250-300 price range.

I hope he does. The folks at the links above have already done so with stainless models.

Again, please see the links above. Free market capitalism is a wonderful thing, as it moderates prices and maximizes innovation. Remember how there were only a couple of ~$300 stainless razors a few years ago? Now look at the field. Wetshavers have benefitted from new designs and price competition. "I can do it better for cheaper" also applies to shaving products other than razors. Stirling shaving soap is one example.

There are many comments praising or naysaying products for which precious little evidence is offered, and not only for razors. That would not apply to machinists who have posted on the forums and then made good on their claims, though. I hope more machinists drop by here and say Hi.

Hey, nothing wrong with that. :happy088: The more the merrier! I think a black anodized or gold alodine finished aluminum razor would be totally cool.

Choice words which you would, of course, base on your years spent working in a machine shop, correct? ;)

A pass-around? What a great idea! Not only would the product get wider exposure, but the manufacturer would get more feedback on the prototype. Agree that a great shave can be had for a very affordable price. Us wetshavers are lucky that way.

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I notice you are very fond of taking things out of context and proving your own. That does unfortunately not sit very well with me.
    The 'folks at the links above' are not who I was talking about and I'm fairly certain you know and understood that.

Again. I have no idea why you are referring to those links. No one else did.
    It was - again - a reference to, as I'm sure you're aware of but choose to ignore, the people on forums that claim they can do something better - but never actually does anything.
    I literally have no idea what you're trying to say. If you're saying that it's good that there are people that innovate then that's not exactly a brave stance as I think we can all subscribe to that.

Uh. Yes? It's like you are having a side discussing about something else but for some reason chose to quote me.

What the heck does what I do for living have to do with my ability to have an opinion on that?

Please don't tell others what to do with their razors.

Sorry but after spending 10 mins of my life quoting what quite honestly was pointless, out of context drivel, I think it's more apt that I place you on ignore as I really don't think I'll ever miss any substantial information based on the trainwreck of a reply you posted here.

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Ditto.

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

If there was something clever hidden in between the lines, I must have missed it. You stated that people claiming they can make products at a lower price should do so. I agree, for razors, soaps and everything else, and cited some examples of where people had done so.

A "brave stance"? That doesn't really make any sense, at least not to me. Anyways, I was just pointing out examples of where people had actually innovated and done something at reduced cost - actions as opposed to claims that something could be done.

You're the one who said you would have "choice words" about a machinist's opinions regarding production processes. I had hoped, obviously in vain, that said response would be based on firstand knowledge of and experience with machine shop practices. Otherwise, upon what would those choice words be based? It would be no different than someone claiming they could do it better for less without proof.

Someone suggested a pass-around and I thought it was a good idea. Care to tell us how that is telling others what to do with their razors?

Was that supposed to be a rant, or merely snarkiness? Either way, it was not particularly clever or informative.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    RaZorBurn123 and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Excellent job. You handled it with poise, and you continued to stay on point, and doing so in a kind fashion ,can set a example for future threads, and posts. :cool:.