Basic Technique

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by MrBandGuy, Jun 7, 2015.

1. MrBandGuy

MrBandGuy Member

Being a new DE shaver, I have been reading a lot about focusing on the technique for the first 30 days. Although this comment seems common, I have yet to find a post that defines these techniques. Not so much to describe each in detail, but to give a brief overview of these things I and other newbies should focus on during this time. We can always look up each item on the forums to learn more about it.

I thought I would get one started, and I'm sure you all will add/subtract as necessary. So, what are the basic steps of technique that you would recommend for the new shaver? What should newbies focus on in the first 30 days?

1) Learn to make a lather

2) Use light pressure.

3) Learn your growth pattern for WTG, XTG, and ATG

Rufus T. likes this.
  2. nelius22

nelius22 Member

4) do not/never press the razor against your face

Rufus T. likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

See #2 above :)

Rufus T. likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Enjoy your shave.

Rufus T. likes this.
  5. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Rufus T. likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    When I read
    2) Use light pressure.
    I automatically said, "No that should be no pressure."
    I would add, don't rush your shave. Enjoy it.

Rufus T. likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The specific technique I feel is paramount is to hold a consistent angle of attack while using the appropriate amount of pressure.

PLANofMAN and Rufus T. like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

For me the top would be:
    1) Establish a good preshave routine and find the products that work best for your face.
    2) Find a soap you enjoy and learn to make a proper lather(either bowl or face) that holds the moisture to your face.
    3) Finding the correct razor angle and proper amount of pressure for your face.
    4) Don't press razor against your face or drag it sideways ever, trust me that hurts.
    5) In the beginning concentrate on an irritation free shave over a close shave. The closeness will come with time.
    6) Perhaps most important as @Jayaruh said "TAKE YOUR TIME" especially in the beginning. Enjoy your shave, Time,Technique, Practice and Patience make for a close, comfortable shave. :happy088:

I never bothered to officially map my face, I just changed blade angle and/or direction as I needed during the shave. While I always start my shave WTG(downward) after the first pass however I go whatever way strikes my fancy at the time. I'm lucky to be able to shave in any direction. I just found what worked over time, yet another reason to NOT rush your shave in the beginning.:)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    obturador and Rufus T. like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Great advice above, If I may add:
    1- Don't over think your shave.
    2- Hydrating the beard is very important as preshave
    3- Heavy razor, use weight of razor, no pressure. Light razor, very light pressure

178-bplatoon and Rufus T. like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Read the Shave School Master Sticky. It has links to lots of instructional videos.

11. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Welcome MrBandGuy!

I'm a newbie here as well. Everything I'm learning about traditional DE shaving has come from this site. (and I haven't lost any blood yet! ...well maybe a nick or two!):scared001:

:signs011:
    As @Sara-s noted this is the best place to start: Shave School Sticky. The first item gives you all the basics of a shave, from prep to after the shave. Each of the next 4 - 5 items are must reads in my mind, including great beginner videos and even advice on what razor to get. Not to mention there's a great item defining all the acronyms you'll see on this site.

I spent the first 3 weeks or so taking it all in and trying it out. I'd recommend the advice to get sample packs of blades and try a few out. As soon as you feel comfortable with a razor and blade combo do the program recommended by @dbersh as written by @GDCarrington .

:signs011:
    I've just started the 30-day Rule and in the first 8 days I've had better shaves than I have had in a lifetime of using cartridges, electric and disposables. I'm making mistakes, but this site also has a specific thread for everyone going thru that program to make daily posts describing their experience. @Bama Samurai is a great facilitator there. I've asked many questions along the way and usually get a half dozen or more responses with advice.

my two cents, ymmv, and good luck!

Cheers!
    -RT

wmbjr, GDCarrington and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome to the Den! I think the most important thing, after "no pressure" is learning the proper angle. A razor at the wrong angle (too steep or too shallow) will work but will yield unsatisfactory and unpleasant results. I regularly check my angle by putting the top of the head against my face and slowly tilt the razor until I feel the blade. Good luck and have fun!

gmaugie007 and Rufus T. like this.
  13. MrBandGuy

MrBandGuy Member

Thanks all. Yes, I've read the master sticky and watched the videos. As I said before, I simply wanted more of a quick reference guide to the phrase "focus on technique." As helpful and informative as all the info is, it's a lot to digest and remember all while trying to enjoy the experience. I know it's not rocket science and things will come with time. But as a teacher, it bugged me that this consistent advice (technique) was left mostly undefined.

It reminds me of teaching my young trumpet players. I can say "use more air" or "practice your buzzing" all day, but if I don't define what those things are, the student does not improve. Hope that makes sense. Looks like we're on that track here, so thanks for the input!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Technique has been defined by those above, but as a musician you know that interpretation is as much a part of technique as the mechanical movements.

Here is the 30 day rule. Remember that this deals with the equipment set up. The issue of lather generation really depends upon the soap/cream and brush used and how you can whip up the mixture. As to grain shaving for the first 30 days I would advise only going WTG and XTG. Leave the ATG until after the 30 days are up and you become consistent with less aggressive pass methods (some people even after years of Traditional Shaving cannot go ATG).

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/30-day-rule-meet-the-30-day-focus-greater-flexibility.42673/

I hope this helps. The link in my signature provides many more shaving discussion points.

Oh, and one last thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Rufus T. and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. MrBandGuy

MrBandGuy Member

Right on! Thanks again!

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    This is a segment from the link in my signature that covers technique and expands a bit on GDCarrington's 30 day rule.

"Good results come from practice and repetition. Not changing your inital setup for thirty days and only changing it slowly after that is where the repetition comes in. I know you want to try new stuff. I've been there. luckily I was broke and unemployed so I was forced to use what I had and develop good technique. Now I switch razors, creams, soaps, blades and aftershaves on a daily basis. But, I shaved with a 60's Gillette super speed and the same type of cream with the same brush for over a year. I learned technique. More importantly I learned it to the bone. Muscle memory and all that. I can shave half asleep and with my eyes closed. (I don't recommend this, shaving should be fun!)

When we throw out terms like WTG, XTG, ATG, you should know that we are talking about the direction of facial hair growth. "With the grain," "Across the grain," and finally "Against the grain." When you are just starting out, limit yourself to two passes with the grain. If your hair grows downward, only shave in a downward direction. Your shave might not look as good as you want it to at this point, but whats important is that you get a comfortable shave with no irritation. Let your face get used to this new method of shaving, then try across the grain. Don't feel bad if you can't handle against the grain shaving, many of us can't, including me. I've found that after wet shaving for years, I can do one against the grain pass once a week with only minor irritation and burning. Anything more than that and I start to get ingrown hairs and razor burn, which is why I started wet shaving in the first place."

There's a bit more, but the above covers the essential core of advice I give new shavers. It's more or less the same advice GDCarrington gives now :). When enough shavers pool their knowledge, certain things tend to overlap. The only thing that is an iron hard rule when it comes to shaving is this:

Everyone's face and hair growth is unique and no two shavers will shave the exact same way. Wet shaving is half science and half art.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    GDCarrington likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One of my biggest problems (i.e bad habits) when learning was overworking the same area with razor, leading to skin irritation. Too many repeated shave strokes while trying to achieve super smoothness. Lesson learned: Don't chase after the BBS shave; let it come to you!

wmbjr and Herm2502 like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oh man, you hit it right on the head there! Sometimes you just have to say "I'm done" when the BBS baby is telling you to keep going!