BBS at last

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cool Breeze, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Good deal, Im gonna have to try the rapira, in your experience do they stay sharp longer than the GSB?
    After 2 shaves with the Gillette Silver Blue , while still a DFS, I cant get BBS.

While looking up rapira blades online, I found a Rapira razor and blade set for $8.00 at shaveabuck

2. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I am four shaves into using a DE and have only used 2 different blades. I get a pretty darn good shave but there is always a little on my neck or adams apple area I can't get BBS. Congrats on a perfect shave. I can't wait for my first BBS shave. It'll come soon I hope;) .

3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Do yourself a favor buddy, tyr a Gillette Silver Blue blade, they consistantly produce bbs for me every time.
    Another of our brethern gets the same effect from Rapira blades.
    Ymmv of course but I think either blade will get you where you want to be.

Also,I can only speak for myself of course but bbs only lasts a few hours for me. You cant see stubble until after lunch if I shave before 6:00 am but I can feel it after 3 or 4 hours.

4. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I may have to pick some up. I just got in my sampler pack so I have a while before I "need" more blades but maybe I just pick up a five pack of each and see what I think. I hear you can never try to many blades.

5. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

No kidding, The GSB do me bbs every time for the first 2 shaves. You'd think I'd stop there huh? nooooo, now Im looking for a GSB quality that lasts longer. It's a mad obsession I tell you.
    And to think, our addiction is supposed to SAVE us money over those crappy disposable plastic multi blade versions.
    At least we arent filling the landfills with all that plastic waste. Well wait a minute, all the plastic bottles and plastic puck tubs I throw away, sheesh!
    Good thing I signed in for this sport is because I love metal tools and not for the enviornmental cause. As far as saving money, I could probably have paid off my mortguage with the cash I blow on shaving related goodies ( yea, I have NO willpower)
    Still, I love my pucks, blades, after and preshaves not to mention the feel and weight of a nice razor, the old ones and new ones alike.
    Man I hope that doesn't make me a bad guy :)

6. dan_b

dan_b Member

I get BBS for 2 shaves and a 99% BBS on the 3rd shave then throw it. No irritation on either of the 3. I havent tried the gsb but will try and get to at some point. I have 100 rapiras in the post so I might put up and see if I can trade some for other blades I havent tried.

7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

What Rapira blade is it? I have a few different myself that I didn't like in my Merkur, but I haven't tried then in my Mühle (same head as your EJ) so it might be worth for me to dig out the old samplers :)

8. dan_b

dan_b Member

Its the normal ones not Swedish supers.

9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I only have 2 gsb's left so Im gonna put in an order myself. Im gonna get some of your rapiras as well.

10. dan_b

dan_b Member

There's a listing for 1000 gsb on eBay for £60, he also has a listing for 10,000.

I paid £5.50 delivered for 100 on the rapiras.

11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Like those? [​IMG]

12. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Im stateside , is that ebay listing for US as well?

13. dan_b

dan_b Member

Yes them ones. I'll have a look now mate.

Its £65.60 delivered worldwide mate, seller is mr5footfa25

Cool Breeze and tuxxdk like this.
  14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Congrats on the great shave! I used a GSB today too but it was not one of my best. Not the blade's fault though. Long story involving a 13-year-old hot water heater.

15. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

As I have mentioned in other posts, the Gillette Silver Blue is my number one choice followed by Astra SP.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Everyone should shoot for BBS and get it at least once. Then you'll know what level of effort it requires and if it's worth it or not.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  17. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I just saw GSB 100 pack on amazon for 23.75 but SWMBO said I can't buy more until I try all the blades in my sampler pack. Looks like that will be quite a while. I decided to use the same kind of blade for the first 30 days then start changing it up weekly.

18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

No fear, at 2 to 3 shaves per blade, you'll go through them in no time.

19. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Lets see... 60 blades x 3 shaves each that's 180 shaves. Looks like I will need more blades in 6 months or so. I never thought to do the math before but that is a pretty good deal. Perfect shaves every day for 6 months for only 20 dollars. Maybe if i just use each type of blade for week that would speed things up dramatically. Then I could pick up a 100 pack. Now if I can just find a blade I like and buy in bulk. ;) Then I;ll save some serious cash. I want to try every blade I can find first so maybe a 100 pack purchase is a ways off.

20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Good luck brother, now Im a die hard GSB fan but I have no doubt I'll run across another blade (I hear fine things about Rapira) and I'll be on the hunt again. It never ends. I think thats part of the addiction.
    i wish I had more than 1 face to shave.
    Yea, Im an addict