BBS or Bust?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HolyRollah, Jun 13, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

When I started wet-shaving years ago,my shave consisted of two or 3 passes, rinse and aftershave splash and...boom! Done! Face felt smooth to the touch…good job!

With the advent of the internet and the boom of information exchange on shaving-related forums, a new standard or goal has been introduced. Every shaver seems to be chasing the elusive baby-bottom smooth (aka, 'BBS') result. To achieve this result—defined as having a face so smooth that one's face is completely smooth in any directionoften require many passes, and even despite our best efforts, some rough patches still remain.

Upon learning of this standard, I used to strive for this lofty goal on a regular basis. Occasionally, I may even reach it—or a reasonable facsimile. The problem in chasing the baby was I'd invariably overdo the number of strokes and often have post-shave irritation or tenderness—all in the quest of ultimate smoothness.

My expectations have changed. I no longer pursue this 'lofty' goal on a daily basis and am content with simply enjoying the morning routine and take pleasure in a job well done. I may still have a few rough patches, but overall, I'm content with the results. This change was the result of my starting to use a straight razor some seven months ago. The learning curve for using a straight razor is quite steep and the results can often be discouraging for those just starting. My shaves have certainly improved over the months, but are still no where near a true BBS...and I'm okay with that.

If I really feel the need for uber-closeness and desire the BBS feel, I'll grab a feather blade and the old R41 and get pretty darn close every time. But truthfully, this isn't my personal goal every time I shave. I want to enjoy the morning ritual, the quiet time, the 'me' time—and be content with whatever result happens.

Sometimes it IS all about the journey, and not just the destination.

How about you? Are you a BBS chaser?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

We used the term DFS even back in college, many, many years ago. That was when I hated shaving, but the chicks really liked a smooth face. Now, 30 years later, I still only care about getting a DFS. As at the father of 3 sons, I don't think there is any way my facial skin will ever be BBS!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I have been "chasing the BBS" a little this week, but for the most part I'm happy with a DFS.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

While my hope every morning is that I will end up with a BBS, I learned a long time ago not to go chasing after it. For me, this inevitably results in a roughed up face that may, or may not, actually have a BBS.

If I end up with a BBS, then I am happy. If not, then I look towards tomorrow's shave.

RaZorBurn123 and Tdmsu like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Two passes regardless of quality.... More and more it has been closer to BBS than not, but there is no chasing anything here...

RaZorBurn123 and Lexicon Devil like this.
  6. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

Content w/ a single pass most of the time. Less irritation & the 5o'clock shadow looks good for me.

RaZorBurn123 and BigMark like this.
  7. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I've had to face the fact that my skin/beard combination do not lend themselves to BBS. I strive for DFS+, with as little neck irritation as possible.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have found I can only go ATG with a Mild razor, like my Tech. Even then that is on my jawline and I still have some rough patches. From now on I plan on just looking presentable.

9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Compared to my Gillette Fusion every day is a BBS.:eatdrink047:

10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm fine with a DFS. If I wanted a BBS everyday I would just keep my Ever Ready 1924 and throw out all my other razors.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  11. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

I'd much rather take some rough patches that only I can feel, and can't even be seen, over highly visible irritation or bumps. Plus I prefer the feeling of some rough patches but a healthy, happy face and neck to feeling sore patches on a face that probably isn't going to end up BBS anyway when I run my hand over my face and neck.

12. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

The only time I've ever tried for a BBS was when I was in the military, and then only on inspection days, DFS has worked for me ever since.

Peter Cupitt and HolyRollah like this.
  13. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I use to chase a BBS and ending up being sore in certain places from going over the rough patches way to many times in attempt to get rid of all facial hair. The best thing that ever happened for my shaving was getting the r41. Three passes with that and I get a BBS on both my cheeks and a dfs on my neck, which is fine with me.( I have a goatee and a moustache, so that takes care of the rest of my face). Shaving is a lot more enjoyable now I can walk away after three passes with results I am happy with, than spending ages chasing an ideal.

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I have an occasional facsimile of BBS, but the only time I've ever had a true BBS was when, prior to getting into wet shaving, I had a shave by a local high-end mens "barber". She used a Gillette Quattro, and went over and over my face, blade buffing until she couldn't detect a single whisker. It was amazing, and resulted in the worst razor burn I could ever imagine - I couldn't shave again for 3 days!
    image.jpg

15. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

You nailed it! This is very well stated. I do not chase the BBS result. It is OK if it happens, but that is not the goal. I just enjoy the daily ritual and the "Me Time".

Tdmsu and HolyRollah like this.
  16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I chase a pleasurable experience, and am sometimes rewarded with a BBS.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

what he said,+1,I feel the same, ditto, and mostly yup

Bristle Me and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  18. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I admit that as a headshaver I am addicted to the BBS. I absolutely LOVE the way my head feels when BBS is achieved. So do my lady friends, which is even more motivation to achieve it. ;) When I don't get a BBS I feel like somehow I've let myself down, or half-assed it when I know thats not true. But I'm working on it.... :happy088:

19. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Three passes for me, no matter what the result. Almost always nearly BBS, except under my chin, which seems like it would need 26 passes.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The best I ever got was a near BBS. I don't go there any more. No real need to. I personally am not a fan of the DFS because of the "D." So I am happy with the CCS or the PGS (Pretty Good Shave). I just do two passes and sometimes some touch ups. I am very happy with the results. Well said, @HolyRollah. I do not anticipate trying straights. Too much work.

Peter Cupitt and HolyRollah like this.