BBS or Bust?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HolyRollah, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MrChrome

MrChrome Member

Thanks. I posted a little thread on the Shave School sub-forum about it, if you'd like to share some wisdom.

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Cold shaved my head the other day and wow! It made a much bigger difference on my head than on my face and neck, at least if felt that way. Absolutely no irritation and a way closer and smoother shave. I am still trying to get my technique down for shaving my head but this definitely helps. @CyanideMetal has great advice.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Mark,

That's great to hear. It makes sense too. The capillaries and veins on your head are very close to the surface of the skin. In the Winter, we lose the majority of our body heat thru our heads.

You should post a pic of that shinny dome!;)

4. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

My face has never been a baby's butt, and never will. 3 passes max, and I don't use any acronyms. A nice, clean shave with as little irritation, nicks, weepers or cuts as possible is my goal every day. I don't invite people to step up and feel my face in all it's glorious smoothness, so I'm not going to stand at the sink with my razor in my hand rubbing my face all over and shaving 6 layers of skin off my face trying to achieve an unrealistic goal of making my "face" feel like a baby's "bottom". They in no way resemble each other, nor would I want them to. I'm a 50 year old man, and I have a 50 year old man's face. As long as I am clean shaven and neat the shaving goal for the day has been met. YMMV.

178-bplatoon and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:p:D:D:D LOL!

Mr. Shaverman, BigMark and J_Man like this.
  6. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I feel like it's one of those things where if you don't strive to do your best every time, you never get any better. That just makes me feel like I should be punished for actually trying. Sometimes, you lose and you take a step back, but two steps forward. It's like when you're at Mini-Golf amusement park and you're actually trying and following the rules, and middle school kids are running by you without even caring if you're actually playing or not, and you get reprimanded because you're following the rules.

7. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

I just try to get as good as I can get in 2-3 passes, if I feel a spot is getting to irritated, I stop. Most days it's a DFS at least. That's all I really need

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Mike and rp_63. After many(34+) years of irritation filled shaves with a Trac2 razor. An irritation free shave has always been my #1 goal since first starting "traditional" shaving about 3 years ago!!:happy088:
    I've used all 3 "tap" water temps(hot, warm and cold) with fairly equal results. So I used which ever temp is comfortable or available at the time. Rather than keep to a certain number of passes in certain directions, although my first pass is generally north to south, I just shave until my face more or less feels smooth or feels likes it's beginning to get razor burned. Then I stop.
    I'll take a non-irritated DFS over an irritation filled BBS any day of the week!!;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Peter Cupitt and cournot like this.
  9. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I want a BBS but settle for close enough 99% of the time. No one touches my face at home so, Really, who cares? On my few rostered days off, I can take my time and get pretty close to a BBS, which is just a "Feel Good" moment for me. During the "Working Week" (Including weekends) I work 13 hrs a day travel for ~ 1hr, still have things to do, need to eat and sleep a little so a quicker shave and less close to BBS is ok, since at work, no one touches my face either.
    How many of us here get anyone touching their face anyway? (Anyone been married over 20 yrs?)

178-bplatoon and BigMark like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My wife does on a regular basis. She'll let me know whether or not if I've hit BBS—which isn't that often, but its still close enough.... (31 years, btw)...

maltedmilk and Peter Cupitt like this.
  11. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

WOW, Congrats (on the 31 AND the touch test) Our "Babies" the twins, are turning 23 in Dec so that makes it ummm (Counting fingers) 24 for us
    Cheers

maltedmilk likes this.
  12. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Uh... I touch my face throughout the day to see where the BBS wears off first and when it wears off. The edges are kinda blurry, but my best to date was over 12 hours. It is a stupid sort of thing, but (arguably), so is shaving as a hobby! :scared001::scared011:

26 years of wedded bliss here. When I FIRST started wet shaving, SWMBO was all "Mmm.... <purr>!" She made an effort and seemed to appreciate the improvement. Then she dropped to a cursory swipe and a glib "That's nice." Later came the "I am NOT feeling your face again!" Now, if I have an exceptional result and ask nice enough, she may grant me the boon of feeling my face. Last time she agreed "Yeah, that is a close shave."

Domestic tranquility can be that way sometimes, I guess. You have to put more in to get the same bang out. ... the frequency with which I ask has nothing to do with it, though! ;)

13. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

Been married 30 years as of sept 15, my wife likes to rub her hand on my chin ever since I started wet shaving again. She rubs it and gets a big grin. Lol

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here - 32 years back in April.

HolyRollah likes this.