beard lines help

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by wstarkel, Jul 28, 2014.

1. wstarkel

wstarkel New Member

Hi again,

Still getting the hang of DE shaving but thoroughly enjoying it so far. I am happy with most of my progress in the wet shaving realm, e.g., decent lather, close shave with little / no irritation, etc.

However, I am running into problems with keeping my beard lines from receding during shaving. With cartridge razors, it was very easy to know where the stubble stopped and the beard began, but with a nice lather and sharp razor, it just cuts right through my summer-weight beard!

I've tried marking the line with a finger through the lather, but that only works on my right side, where I feel more confident and I can see a little better (left eye has wonkier vision). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I line my circle beard with painters tape.

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Perfect BBS every time.

[​IMG]

Bristle Me and Kilgore Trout like this.
  6. richgem

Yesssh! I should hope so! :eek:

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  7. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Everyone's a comedian today! :happy097:

Honestly wstarkel I think it's just familiarity with the tools more than anything else. That and a sort of muscle memory. I had a full beard for a number of years before I shaved it off this past October (and joined the forum! :)), but I always kept the cheek lines and neck line clean and tight, even when I had a full beard; and even now I still have a goatee and keep the neck line there nice and clean. And I've been shaving with a DE since 1981 or so. You'll eventually get to know exactly where the edge is on your DE and you'll have no trouble keeping any beard line you like.

In the meantime you can always try not lathering over those parts of your beard that you don't want to shave, and that should make it a lot easier to see the line you're looking for. Maybe try running an unloaded (no blade) razor over the beard after you've lathered and that should allow you to clean the line up fairly precisely and you'll still have lather where you need it. Just a thought...

Good luck and don't be shy about posting up some pics if you like! :cool:

Bristle Me and Kilgore Trout like this.
  8. wstarkel

wstarkel New Member

Y'all are crackin' me up!

Stubbi, thanks for the unloaded razor tip. That sounds like it'll do the trick.

And if not... well, there's always other options:
    hannibal_lecter-survey.jpg

9. richgem

"I find your lack of goatee disturbing."

BigMark likes this.
  10. I had the same problem one time I cut off some of my goat with my New short comb, it cut it off like nothing. This was one of the first times using an open comb though and I'm used to it now.

Bristle Me likes this.
  11. wstarkel

wstarkel New Member

I figure it's all a part of the learning curve. I've only had about 3 - 4 shaves with this set up, so I'm sure I'll get used to it with time.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Learning where the edge of the blade is is like learning where the tires and front end are when you first start driving - after a while you just get a feel for where they are and you're aff on a safe ride.

13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Isn't the "help" you get here wonderful? Just a vast storehouse of information. Hope you find your solution. I can't help, been "baby faced" for years. Good luck

14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That's a really good analogy.

swarden43 likes this.
  15. wstarkel

wstarkel New Member

Well said!

16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I was thinking of a slightly different analogy, but this is a good one.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Could you post a picture of your face? Seeing you might help us give you more advice.

18. wstarkel

wstarkel New Member

Sure, I don't think I'll shave 'till the weekend, but I'll try a before & after type of thing.

19. richgem

Be careful what you ask for Wabbit! :eek:

20. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:bang: