Beginner Theory

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by William232, Apr 4, 2014.

1. William232

William232 Active Member

So I'm thinking that being a beginner with the DE I'm wondering if I should jump right into doing it daily, or maybe every second or third day until I'm skilled at it so my skin can heal in between practice tries....
    What do you think?

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I skipped a day after my first DE shave. I skipped a day after my second DE shave. I have not skipped a day since then.

Your face will let you know if you ought to skip days or just get going on a new daily routine.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would recommend seeing how you face feels after consecutive shaves. If there is tenderness or rash, red bumps or a number of nicks, you'd be wise to allow proper time for the skin to heal before dragging a razor over the same territory.
    Many new DE shavers develop certain spots (upper lip, throat, lower lip and chin) that can be very quite sensitive to a DE blade—particularly if one's technique is still being honed (i.e. still finding the right touch and angle of the blade while shaving). Sometimes it is simply one isolated spot (upper lip, for example). If this is the case, I see no reason not to continue to shave the rest of the face, but being mindful of the 'tender' spot and avoid that area until it heals.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. William232

William232 Active Member

Awesome thanks guys!

Guess I'll just jump in and get started and compensate as required.

Thanks
    William

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Jump in, the water's fine!

When I started I began shaving in the evening so that I could take my time, go slow and learn technique. Also, if I made hamburger out of my face (and it will happen, don't get cocky son) it had all night to heal. I didn't have to go to work covered in razor burn and scabs. I'd plan on shaving daily, and allow yourself to skip a day if you need to. I would recommend *not* going back to cartridges/electric while you are learning.

6. TexasTiger

TexasTiger Well-Known Member

I am new to DE shaving as well and I sometimes I shave every day sometime I skip a day no real pattern. When I first started I haves every day for a week straight. As others have said your face will let you know what it can handle.

7. KingColliwog

KingColliwog New Member

I started about 2 weeks ago and I tend to shave every day because I look forward to it. I let a day pass if my skin is irritated but that pretty much only happens when I try a new blade (I was lucky enough that the first blade I tried was "my blade" and I've been highly disapointed by all other brands except one)

Just go with what feels fine.

8. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

When I started I just started everyday. I would try different blades some irritated my skin some did not but I shaved every morning a few blades irritated me bad enough to skip a day but like the others said you will know. Good luck

9. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

Started DE razor shaving 3 weeks ago and fortunately, I only need to shave on M,W, and Fs. The only difference is now I have much closer shaves - it feels like I have 12 hours less of beard growth in the 48 hours between shaves.