Best artisan soaps/worst artisan soaps article. Great read

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Straight razor dandy, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  2. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

And no mention of Stirling? Pffft

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

OneBlade & Blades Grim - Tied for this position are two razor brands. The former came out with an overpriced, even more overpriced and insanely overpriced versions of the same flawed razor that they likely knew was such and regularly offering highly discounted "sales." The latter didn't even have to come out with a razor first before the poop hit the fan. Yup, that one's done before it even began. Both are of questionable morals and customer service.

That One Made Me Fall Down Creasing Up Laughing..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
    Shaver X, Spyder and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

from the article's list, the way it talks about the B&M Reserve makes it sound just like Stirling. (bringing back old-school scents in a new-wave way).

Spyder likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I knew that there was controversy in our hobby, but these soap opera scenarios are baffling...:signs002:

Shaver X, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I read all the drama regarding razorock/iB. And I think it overblown . But then again I'm not overly sensitive about that type of thing.

7. Paul Turner

It brings us back, in a way, to the Rise/Colgate (shave creams)court battle that Rise won.

Spyder likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The 'brand wars' and the number of 'camps' that get offended by articles such as these are some of the reasons I tend to avoid these type of best or worst lists.
    Why some folks get personally riled up over someone else's preferences for certain shaving products is beyond me.
    Lists DO create some discussion—but regrettably many of these discussions become personal attacks or diatribes from offenses taken.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

[​IMG]
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

10. Paul Turner

I'd have preferred a photo of Julie Bowen, but......that's the way it goes :)

11. RaZorBurn123

[​IMG]

TheFiveO, Spyder, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm not into the drama, but if a product is bad I like to find out before I buy it. Mostly I rely on what you bums think about something before I get it myself! Like everything on the sewer we call the internet these days no matter what you like someone is going to let you know just how much it sucks!

13. Paul Turner

well, that just means you're back to square one.

Spyder and Redfisher like this.
  14. Paul Turner

I'd like to think she's lookin' at me, but..................

15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

This was a good review, I like how he explained why certain artisans made the list.

Over time i have learned that it is wise to be careful when saying negative things about a certain company. I did just that on an other forum, it was my honest opinion and I was swarmed with a barage of comments like "we are sick of the drama" and things of that nature.

It is good to give your honest opinion of products regardless of what others think. this is how people can discern between hype, and to help people not waste their hard earned money. afterall everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone is different.

macaronus, Demidog, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  16. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

completely agree...I have a amazon gift card I have been holding on to, trying to decide what im going to try next and stuff like this helps....I have my favorite(s) soap makers and Im wanting to try something "new"... I ordered SV cosmo because they are my favorite and I will ALWAYS buy anything new they put out because I can trust/know what Im getting, until proven otherwise...and when it comes to opinions in this community I tend to trust it more then most other places because I feel like most people here dont have a axe to grind with other companys but if they do its for a good reason...there are soooo many options out there that its nice to have a opinion on "brand" so I can look closer or move on (or just put them on hold) so I dont feel I made a poor choice on what to choose next....

I have 1 razorock soap and didnt find it to be a great performer so if I review or give a opinion of that brand I try to say " it is 1 soap and FOR ME"....however, with SV I have ALL (or soon to be all) and they are far and away the best soaps I have ever used...I truely feel that everyone around here does a GREAT job of putting there reviews into context.

Linuxguile and Spyder like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Pretty much...

Spyder likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm hesitant to say anything negative about an artisan product. I think it's better not to say anything. YMMV, and I don't want to make a careless public comment that could affect someone's livelihood. Alternatively, it's pretty easy to get a read on top-notch artisan products, as folks generally rave about them.

I don't pay much attention to "one-offs" when it comes to reviews of any kind. The world is full of goof balls. I have met most of them at our weekly meeting. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Demidog, Spyder and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

Here's something my dad taught me at a young age, way before this interweb thing.
    Never say something about someone that you wouldn't be willing to say to their face.
    In short. It's all just wasteful words.

Drygulch, Spyder, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Your dad was/is a wise man.