Best Razors Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Throughpoint, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Throughpoint

Throughpoint New Member

Hi, I'm relatively new, and was wondering which razor blades (for a DE of course) are regarded as the "best". I'm currently using Wilkinson, and occasionally Merkur razor blades.

These might be regarded as quite bad (I wouldn't know lol), so I'm looking for advice about which one to buy next. I've heard Feather blades are very sharp and thus give closer shaves, but there's still a lot of doubt in my mind.

Thanks in advance!

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

There isn't really a best blade out there, there's only the best blade for YOU! All you can do is to get a sampler pack or buy packs of blades that get good reviews and go from there.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

Blades are a highly YMMV "your Mileage May Vary" item.

Best bet is to buy a blade sampler.

Try all the blades, then go back through them again and eventually you will decide which blade(s) are for you.

4. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I feel like personna makes the most neutral blade around.

Their reds, israelis, and platinum chromes are all favorites of mine and have worked for majority of people I have recommended them to.

Derbys are a standard, not because they're necessarily good, but highly available and cheap.

I love derbys. I have over 600 stocked. Might be a good place to start.

Edit: Also keep in mind, different blades work differently in different razors. Just because a feather works killer in a slant razor doesn't mean it'll work great in an open comb razor.

5. Throughpoint

Throughpoint New Member

Thanks so much guys, I'll start looking for a reasonably-priced sampler pack right now.

EDIT- Yeah I've heard about Derby blades. I'll look into them. I THINK I have an open comb razor (basic Merkur HD Safety Razor).. Would that make a difference?

6. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Would it make a difference? The best way to know is to ask your own face.

Everyone is different.

Here's an open comb:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a slant:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a "regular":
    [​IMG]

7. Throughpoint

Throughpoint New Member

Ah I have the regular, heh. Yep, gonna order a sampler pack and try it out on the ol' mug. Thanks :)

8. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

You bet'cha. Good luck :D

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

welcome to the den. Check out the store here on the site. good samplers of blades and cream.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome to the Den!

Just for the record, Derby tears my neck up. Can't stand 'em.

I post that not only because it's true, but because I want to emphasize the fact that every person has a blade they like and a blade they don't. Don't get caught up in buying bulk a blade you've never tried just because others like it. You just might, but then again, you might be out a few bucks.

:happy088:happy088 on getting the sample pack.

11. Grazer1

Grazer1 New Member

Welcome mate ! Good advice already imparted and it was what I followed several weeks ago when I began DE shaving. I'm still on the journey trying out different blades with my two razors, there are many permutations but you'll discover what suits you eventually. I've already chanced upon those that I favour, those I dislike and there's many combo's still to try.
    Enjoy !

12. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

After a 3 years of DE "shaving" through blades..my favorite ones are: Nacet/Yellow Gillettes (Rusia)/Gillette Bleue Extra

ST

13. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I was actually asking myself that very same question a little while ago so I started a poll and got a bunch of peoples' opinions on what their favorite blades are. Here's the thread:
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22469

A good deal of information in the comments. My favorite blade right now is the Voskhod, which is funny because I left it out of the poll having never heard of it. But after I saw everyone raving about it I gave it a shot. The Wilkinson is actually my 2nd favorite blade, but it's not quite as smooth as the Voskhod and doesn't have the same lifespan. Try 'em all, you'll find what suits you

14. Throughpoint

Throughpoint New Member

Thanks a lot guys, your comments have really helped :)

15. Al Sapone

Al Sapone New Member

You are actually using one of the best.It is very forgiving and smooth, similar to the Derby.The Russian Gillette is the same as the french Gillette Bleue, it is like the latter two, but sharper.If you have sensitive skin, acne, or anything on your face, avoid Feather at all cost.It will make a bloodbath out of your face even in a Gillette Tech, which is the most forgiving DE razor.

16. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

I just used a Voskhod the first time this morning. I've just been shaving with a DE for about a week, but out of a Derby, Shark, Wilkinson Sword, and the Voskhod, the Voskhod seemed to be the smoothest shave by far. Granted, the first couple of shaves with the Derby, any razor cuts or rash was probably caused by my complete inexperience.

I have lightened my pressure considerably since those first 2 shaves!:D

If my next couple of shaves are as good as this morning, I'll have a 100 Sharks to PIF!