Big Bug razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Okay - so this may not be the finest of shaving instruments, but it's interesting, none the less.

I spent a few dollars on a 'German' made Big Bug razor, ostensibly from the 1980's. From the pictures, it was difficult to tell whether it was plastic or metal, and luckily nobody bid against me for it - if they had, they'd have won the auction :p.

In any case, it's a 100% plastic razor, if you discount the doors and MAYBE something internal. The doors are aluminum.

Analysis. It appears to be a copy of a Quick Twist mechanism (That's the flat white plastic handled Gillette that was mostly sold in England and Canada), with the head copied from the various SuperSpeeds, and the main handle is slightly thicker than a Fat Handle tech. Having this in hand, which DOES appear to be the right condition for something 30 years old, I think I can say that _this_ is what HongLong has been copying with their all plastic razor. Same TTO mechanism, same aluminum doors, just a differently sized handle.

BigBug-Side1.jpg BigBug-Back1.jpg BigBug-Handle1.jpg
    BigBug-Doors.jpg

Attached Files:

RaZorBurn123, twhite, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That may be the ugliest razor I've ever seen.

How's the shave?

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  3. Bookworm

Haven't cleaned it to try it. If it's like the Hong Long, it'll shave just fine - for a few months - then fall apart.

gorgo2 and twhite like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    German made, huh?
    very-interesting-2 .jpg

twhite likes this.
  5. Bookworm

Got me. That's what it was sold as, and it came with PolSilver Iridium blades - at least one of which was used in the razor.

It may simply be "Shtupid... But EEenterestink"

twhite likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would be afraid something would break on it, mid shave, and slice me up good.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Nah. You'd notice if it started to go.

twhite likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's the DE version of a RSO (razor shaped object). Being mostly plastic you might carry it through TSA checks and right onto an airplane. Until it's proven it can shave, don't think I'd want to rely on it as my only option away from the house.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  9. Bookworm

Oh, the TSA doesn't care about the razors. They care about the blades.

The blades will set off those magnetic metal detector sensors. Now, if someone made BRONZE razor blades, those would probably slip through.

10. Bookworm

Some updated information - I'll try to get some new photos tomorrow.

1) It's not a clear plastic, which is what I expected (polyethylenes and polystyrenes are all clear or just slightly opaque to start. Colour is added). Instead, it's a solid black underlying plastic, which is then chromed.
    2) The doors are chrome plated steel, but they're certainly not polished.
    3) The handle pulls off the bottom. It may have been epoxied at some point in the past. The neck that passes under the screw is plated, and fluted for a friction fit to the handle.
    4) If someone wanted to 3-d print a TTO, this is the one to copy. The TTO knob is only operating a half thread, which is inserted into a central shave piece. That's what shoves the doors open. If the handle is off, you can pull the knob and screw assembly out. Anyone with a 3-d scanner could make a solid of this, and pretty much run them off by the dozen. The doors might be more tricky, but small adjustments could probably even allow those to be made.