birth razor cleaning question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HeisenBadger, Jul 16, 2013.

1. HeisenBadger

HeisenBadger New Member

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I recently won an auction for a 1965 (K-4) Gillette Slim Adjustable. I haven't gotten it yet but the seller stated that it needs cleaning. Two questions: What material was this razor made of? Also, what is the best method for cleaning this material. I don't want to mess it up and have to hunt for another one. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. HeisenBadger

HeisenBadger New Member

Also, if there is a cleaning thread could someone make it a sticky?

3. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

It is nickle plated brass. The nickle coating is not super thick so be very careful with metal polishes. Use a non-bleach version of Scrubbing Bubbles (Johnson wax product I believe). This will disinfect and clean soap scum off of the razor. Don't let it soak too long in SB. I have heard how it can remove the paint on the numbers.

HeisenBadger likes this.
  4. HeisenBadger

HeisenBadger New Member

Ok, thanks. I wonder if some super hot water before the Scrubbing Bubbles will also help to loosen gunk. (Nice badger pic! I like badgers.)

5. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes I use very hot tap water (My hot water heater will produce very hot water) as a soak. For about 10 minutes with a very little dawn dish soap. Then the scrubbing bubbles for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then vigorous soft tooth brush scrub. Rinse.

HeisenBadger likes this.
  6. HeisenBadger

HeisenBadger New Member

Sounds like a plan. I'll posts pictures before and after when it arrives.

7. SKrotee

SKrotee Member

I use hot water from my Keurig coffee making, small amount of gentle dish soap, and let it fit for 15 minutes. Then I scrub it with a soft bristled toothbrush. I then let the safety razor sit in a 20% hydrogen peroxide/80% water solution for 10 minutes. Towel dry. I then dip the safety razor in rubbing alcohol, let this dry on its own. Then, give it a spray with disinfecting Lysol. Voila!

HeisenBadger likes this.
  8. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

I have the same exact razor and its my birth razor too!

Mine was very clean, but when i need to clean a dirty razor, I soak it in the hot water then (handle up) in the solution described above (hot water / scrubbing bubbles) up to the numbers. I try not to let the numbers touch the solution during the first soak, which should be the longest. After a good scrubbing I soak the whole razor for shorter soaks with a milder solution and scrub again each time till clean.

Guess its not a real big deal to soak the numbers as they can be painted later IF the paint comes off, but I try not to if I can help it. Depends on how dirty your razor is.

HeisenBadger likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Get yourself a good-quality soft micro-fiber cloth as well. After all that soaking, scrubbing, washing & applying a good polish, a good rub with the MF cloth will make it glisten.

Before & after on a flare-tip:
    [​IMG]

Buffed-up Slim:
    [​IMG]

HeisenBadger likes this.
  10. HeisenBadger

HeisenBadger New Member

Are you my long lost twin? ;)
    I should be getting it soon. I won it last night and it got mailed today. The pictures don't look bad at all. If I like it enough I may actually get it refurbished.

Woodekt likes this.
  11. HeisenBadger

HeisenBadger New Member

Holy crap! That Flair tip came out awesome!

12. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Member

Things I would add: (and that Flaretip really does look great!) By cleaning my razors after every use with a soft toothbrush and pure olive oil soap, they stay spotless with only a minimum of labor. I am a massage therapist, and find that pieces of very soft flannel sheets (once worn out...) to dry and polish the razors really makes them shine. For heavier polishing, Flitz, used sparingly, works wonders, and a drop of machine oil down the tube keeps the innards working smoothly. Hope this helps!