Black handle Super Speed: Tell me about it

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Feb 16, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

good info..maybe they figured that the red tip was too aggressive and the reg and blue tip were too mild so when they designed the black handled speeds they went with the design/gap of the 40's era supers.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Black handled SSs are one of the best razors ever made.

3. sas71

sas71 Member

well i got it wrong..i thought they were still making the 3 models of the super in the 60's but the info says they stopped in the late 50's.

so i guess what i need to know is my '65 speed the same as the black handled speed in terms of blade gap/aggressiveness?

i dont want to sell mine and get a black handled one or buy a black handled speed only to find out they're the same razor.

4. Drew

Drew Member

He's right!

I have a thick beard, and these work great. I am finding the razors known to be less aggressive are the one's I get along with best... this particular SS, and the Tech.

If anyone has a mint black handled superspeed with date code S4... please let me know. I've been searching for one for a long time.

buy one, use it, and be well

Drew

5. MK-ULTRA

MK-ULTRA New Member

I have a 1971 SS (R-1) and it seems ok. It belonged to my father and I believe it was his old travel razor.

When I wanted get back into DE, I wanted to try it before going out any buying a razor. I found my father's travel kit and there was a SS and one old Wilkinson blade. These hadn't been used in at least 20 years.

It was hard to judge the shave because I didn't know as much as I do now. I went out and bought some Walgreen's DE blades as they were the only ones I could find.

After reading reviews and getting better at shaving, I decided to add it to my rotation. For now, it has to compete with a Merkur 38C, Merkur HD, Merkur 1094 Classic, 1954 SS (Z-1), and 1955 Red Tip. I've got 4 more razors on the way. I need to plan a new rotation to work all of these in.

The Gillettes seem less aggressive than the Merkurs, so I will try Feathers in them rather than my usual Red Personnas.