Blade choice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cournot, Sep 11, 2014.

1. cournot

cournot Member

I'm just a newbie, but from the many threads I've read about blades and the extreme YMMV effects that we observe with some blades, I wonder how much habit and adjustment causes problems for many shavers. By this I mean that some blades are good and reliable and easy to use with similar results in a wide range of razors. Other blades not only work better for different hair and face types, but require different styles of shaving. To make up an example (this is probably false; it's just a hypothetical): If Feathers require a particular style of shaving and a specific handling and angle adjustment then a person used to Feathers would find it difficult to use, for example. a Derby, which might require totally different handling. If one could spend a month or two with each new blade type, swapping back and forth between different razors, you might find that you could work with most blades. But since most of us have neither the time nor inclination to invest that much effort into a new blade, we just try something out once or twice and move on. After all, it doesn't much matter if you blow off a good blade, as long you find something in the rest of the pack that suits you well.

Does this seem plausible? I'm not saying all blades are the same, but that most of us could adapt and do well with a much wider range if we had the time and patience to learn each blade's quirks.

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Somewhat. Certain blades such as Feathers, "Labs", "Meds", etc work great in Mild razors, Whereas "Smoother" blades are better for more aggressive razors. Before I decided to grow out my sideburns and have a full beard my Daily Driver was a Weber with a Personna Red , I tried using the Weber with a Lab and always got cut. I even Tried using the Weber on my head and no dice. It might take a while to dial it in but It is worth it.

3. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I wouldn't say that there is any sort of learning curve for different blades, because if you can shave with one blade, you can shave with any blade. Some blades just don't agree with some people and no matter what, they aren't going to get a good shave from it. I can use the sharpest of blades and the most mild with no problems, but give me a Dorco and it tears my face up no matter what. Pretty much every aspect of shaving is a YMMV situation, be it razors, blades, soaps, creams, after shave, etc, some products just don't agree with some people and you can't do much to change that.

Chuck F and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  4. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

If you have a BMW M5 how you will feel when you have to drive a Hyundai Atos ?
    Different,disappointed and of course can not drive "sport style".
    When you have tested Kai,Feather and turn to Derby (green) with the same DE your shaving won't be the same
    Cheap blades can shave for sure but not so good as others.
    A guy wants to shave once in a week,another one have to be shave 3 times per week
    Different needs,different tools for the job.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

6. cournot

cournot Member

Looking at the challenge, it seems obvious that the differences between blades are mostly small for the first shave or two. This suggests that if one is willing to toss a blade after 3 shaves (or one if it starts to perform and tug badly), one can choose from a fairly wide selection of modestly priced product on the basis of individual quirks or even random whimsy and still do quite well.

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have been shaving with a DE since January and by no means consider myself an expert, but it seems like any blade works for me now. Some just last longer. I get a great shave with a Derby or a Feather, but the Derby lasts longer. I love Rapira blades but can't really tell any difference between then and Voskhods. Persona Supers seem to last the longest for me. While YMMV, for me and my face, blades don't vary that much. Most of them are very good.

cournot likes this.
  8. Blaidd

Blaidd Well-Known Member

For me, my face loves the Med Preps and Feathers. I can shave with the others but they don't agree with my face or I have to change them out after a shave or two. I bought one of the assortments of blades (10 different ones I think) and found what works for me.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I would agree with your insights cournot.:happy088: It's not "ONE" particular razor or blades or technique, that is better or worse than the others, but rather its a correct blending of all 3 for each individual that gives the "BEST" results. When searching for the "BEST" shave always keep in mind that time, the changing up of individual components or techniques will all change the outcome for good or bad.
    I also think your correct about only using a blade for 1-3 days gives more leeway in blade choice, as your getting the best you can get out of a blade before it degrades and it makes technique and blade choice a little less critical as far a blade life and comfort go. Other than that I feel technique does play a "VERY" important part in how long a blade with last for you(I prefer my blades to last at least 5-7 days), as well as how comfortable your shave will be. In short "traditional" shaving is very variable and adjustable which depending on how you look at it is either "FANTASTIC" or "TERRIBLE"! I find it "FANTASTIC"!!! :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Blaidd likes this.
  10. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

Love my Personna Labs in my Gillette Rocket.