Blade Disposal Slot in the Medicine Cabinet

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hirsute, Apr 11, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Here's a vintage ceramic tile that you'd see in bathrooms sometimes...

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN and battle.munky like this.
  2. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I checked out my relatively new (4 yrs old) medicine cabinets and no such luck. I may be able to use a razor blade to cut into my cabinets which are plastic. I really like the idea of doing this.

3. Red-Leg

Red-Leg Member

Well, here's a photo of mine following the foam insulation install. :angry032:
    Of course, this all happened prior to me taking up traditional wet shaving. I'd love to use it, but it's really not an option now.

[​IMG]

5Savages likes this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

5. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I used to have an apartment on the 17th floor of a building that had one of these the color was teal (same as the rest of the bathroom) but basicly the same. I wish I was DE shaving back then. Now im left wondering just how far the blade would have fallen :S

CyanideMetal and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. paydepst

paydepst Member

Use mine all the time.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I think Merkur collects and resells them.

gorgo2, battle.munky and awake2shave like this.
  8. awake2shave

That explanes so much ! lol :rofl:

CyanideMetal likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Here's the vintage wall plates I've been looking for...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ryan Bales, Red-Leg and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. awake2shave

Now this one is sexy. There is a major antique crawl happening in a few sundays near my house I'll keep my eyes open for you Jody

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Yep, mine looks like this one. I'm definitely going to use it.

wlmcad likes this.
  12. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

Yes - I have one and use it. The blades are stainless steel and should not rust.

13. nitros155

nitros155 New Member

Just moved into a 1919 Milwaukee bungalow and found this in the medicine cabinet. So cool! Googled it and was thrilled to find this recent thread. Also neat that the house was built in 1919 ans the patent on the razor drop says 1930 which means this is part of an early 20th century bathroom renovation/upgrading. I'm not a straight razor shaver but I will be now!

Attached Files:

5Savages and IAmTheJody like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It just seems awfully wasteful to me, since the metal can be recycled.

tomnat likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Most recyclers don't want to handle them due to small size, sharp conditions, and they can be considered a bio-hazard just like medical sharps.
    Most metal scrap recyclers want more massive sizes so that is easier to handle in the recycling process and that reduces their overall operations costs.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Here, we can recycle them, if we put them into a sealed container, but not loose. Since I use a blade box anyway, this is not an obstacle.

18. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

I think you might be mixing up the terminology. If you wanted to use that slot, you'd want to use a double-edge razor, or safety razor. A straight razor has a blade that is not normally replaceable and is reused.

Stick around, ask questions, and enjoy yourself. If you want to get into using a double-edged razor, this is a great place to start learning!

19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I just used my vast intellect...and did a google search for "blade slots". I found a conversation over at another shaving forum where one of the members made reference to a "bill slot for a gambling table" One more quick search, a link and a picture later, and viola! I'm considered a genius for cribbing other people's ideas.

I wish I'd thought of it on my own, 'cause it is a pretty good idea, you can get them for under $15 and they are almost the perfect size too...

Queen of Blades and 5Savages like this.