Blade Gap and Exposure - Three piece DE with shims inquiry

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, Oct 9, 2014.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

So, I have these 3 piece razors

1) Edwin Jag 89
    2) Gillette New
    3) Fat Handle Tech
    4) Gillette Old Type
    5) Razorock Jaws

When I shim 1-2-3 shims in the first 3 razors, the blade gap goes way up. When I shim the last two razors, I see a very minimal difference in blade gap or aggressiveness, yet the Jaws without any shims is a smoother and more efficient razor than everything else in that list.
    Any opinions or enlightenment about the geometry? My shim pack goes as
    Top:
    1) Razor cap
    2) Actual blade
    3) Shim
    4) Shim
    5) Shim
    6) Base Plate
    7) Handle

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have never shaved with a shimmed razor. I would rather use an adjustable.

Herm2502, ObiDon and GDCarrington like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why don't you buy an adjustable or an R41. Your flirting with a disaster.

Herm2502 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GeneralKinetics

Because, the geometry of those razors work way better for me than a TTO like a Black Beauty or a Slim. I Also am not looking into buying a Futur or a Mergress right now, I'm on a low low college budget. Kind of why the whole shimming idea is attractive to me.

Tattoobob likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You could to try a shim on top of the actual blade to see if this will change the effect by providing free exposure on both sides of the blade. Be careful as that should yield the most aggressive mode since the blade will be free on both sides (small gap for each side).

Shimming was the pattern before adjustables and the idea for the self shimming adjustable design.

BTW: The geometry of the OLD makes shimming with modern blades difficult because it was originally designed to use much thicker carbon steel blades and applies force enough to flex the very thick 3 hole blades from the early 1900s. So modern blades will not cause a large delta in general compared to other razors.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. BigMark

Have you ever tried a Slim or Black Beauty ? If not I suggest you purchase one. Please do not judge a Slim as not being an effective razor for you because of the geometry of the head when you can increase the blade gap.

7. BigMark

Blade choice is also relevant. Why do you think Blade A work well in razor A but not Razor b and Vice Versa .

8. GeneralKinetics

I've tried the Black Beauty, it just didn't work for me. It has long since been "promoted" to girlfriend use.

9. GeneralKinetics

I don't know I guess. I'm using Astra SPs as my test blade. It's pretty smooth, and not overly sharp, but plenty sharp.

10. BigMark

How long have you been wet shaving?

11. GeneralKinetics

Yeah. But, I noticed that the RR Jaws seems to suffer from the same thing as the Old Type does. 3 Shims doesn't seem to visually do much. I haven't tried to shave with the Jaws with any shims yet, because it's plenty without. In the other razors, it makes a world of difference. Is exposure more important than gap?

12. GeneralKinetics

Since beginning of this summer.

13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Keep your health insurance paid up, and try changing your technique.

GDCarrington and BigMark like this.
  14. BigMark

Don't you mean Life Insurance?

ObiDon likes this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gap and exposure are related but not the same. Both can achieve similar results depending on design type.

Gap is generally the distance between the base plate and the bottom of the cap, while exposure is generally the distance that the blade edge is extended from the cap.

ATT razors rely on exposure while Gillette adjustables rely on gap. Both can be effective in solving the need for aggression in a razor.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

17. GeneralKinetics

I noticed that about the Gillette Adjustables in the Black Beauty. The blade doesn't come out anymore, but the gap goes up making it more aggressive, but also needing to change the angle ever so slightly for every step. Is there anything really concrete that one can use as a reference in terms of which adjustment does more or less or is it just a total YMMV thing?

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Take a look at the article I posted. There are more variables than you are account for than shimming the head.

19. BigMark

Experience.

20. GeneralKinetics

Yeah, I'm reading all your stuff. Especially the DE Blade Challenge. I have an Excel lab to get done then I'm going to the gym with the girlfriend, so I'll end tonight with some of your reading.

GDCarrington likes this.