Blade Organization

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Art Vandelay, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything on it.
    Those who use multiple DE's and blade types, what's your system of keeping track of how many shaves a blade has on it? I only have two DE's, but already I'm having trouble remembering how many shaves the blade has on it when I grab one. The reason I want to know is because I only get 3 good shaves out of a blade, and if my current shave is number three, I want to be sure and throw out the blade so I don't start a 4th shave on it next time and end up either with a bad shave or having to change blades in the middle.

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

I don't bother to keep track, just use them until they start to drag. Seems like I get a lot more than three, though. I'm going to keep a pen and paper handy to tally them up and satisfy my curiosity now.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I hand strop DE and SE blades and can get seven 3-pass out of each one, regardless of the brand, easily.

That being said, here's what I do.

Monday morning, hand strop a fresh, new DE blade and put it in the razor I'm going to use that morning. After the shave, take the blade out, hand strop it, and put it into a different razor for tomorrow's shave. I repeat that through Friday. After Friday's shave, I toss the blade. Five 3-pass shaves, never taking a blade to the point of too dull for a comfortable shave.

Saturday's are for str8s.

On the first Sunday of the month, hand strop a fresh, new SE blade and put it in the razor I'm going to use that morning. After the shave, take the blade out, hand strop it, and put it into a different razor for next Sunday's shave. I repeat that through the month. After the last Sunday shave of the month (be it four or five), I toss the blade. Again, four or five 3-pass shaves, never taking a blade to the point of too dull for a comfortable shave.

4. Art Vandelay

You know, I just started using DE's, so the three blade rule may not apply anymore. That's the way it was with cartridge blades, so I kind of ASSumed it would still be that way. Maybe I'll go for number 4 and see what happens. :think002

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I keep one blade and one razor in rotation at a time.

When it starts to drag or I want a change I drop the blade in the bank and get a fresh one. Most of the time it is between 3 and 5 shaves. If I need a change, it might be after one shave. The longest I had a DE blade last was 9 shaves with a Wilkinson Light Brigade.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

We have a little notebook in the den. Each razor has an entry of which brand of blade is in it and when the next shave happens, it gets a mark.

Typically, I only get 3 shaves out of a blade unless it is a Voskhod and I can get 6 out of one.

I use to rotate between a whole bunch of razors and blades, but ever since I got the Star / Voskhod combo dialed in, it takes an act of congress to get me to shave with anything else.

7. Art Vandelay

BTW Jeff, I really like that Super Speed. I've used it twice so far and got very good shaves. I'll get better at my technique. I ordered a blade sampler pack from West Coast Shaving, so I can't wait to try out all the new blades with it and my Merkur.

8. Each blade works differently. There 's the one that shaves 5-6 times and the one who makes more than 3, then we say that the middle and' leveling up to 4 3. I am a bit 'strange habit (and make no mistake) I 2 shavings with a knife, so' to have the security of a good shave every time. Take into account that the DE blades, unlike parts such as titanium wilkinson 4, Gillette Fusion or cost much less! PS: The photo of your avatar and 'very nice!

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've started following this method and it has made my blade rotation simple. I will change blades if I notice deterioration in the shave. (derb's, sharp's, and red Ip's only last around 3 days) I will also continue to use the blade beyond the week (vintage gillette super stainless, merkur, and Gem ted pella's seem to last me around 10 comfortable shaves)

10. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new to DE shaving still, and I only get 3 shaves out of each blade...but that's only because I get excited to try a new brand!

There's definitely times when I'm changing the blade way before its time

S Barnhardt likes this.
  11. Art Vandelay

As cheap as DE blades are, and as many different types as there are to try out, I don't feel so bad about potentially not getting the maximum use out of them. Sure as heck beats $2 a blade for the cartridges.

12. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

everyone has different facial hair and skin type. so the times you can use a blade will vary. with most blades 3 shaves is about all you will get out of them.

The only blades I get 5 solid BBS, Smooth, Weeper Free shaves with are Voskhods and Iridium Supers.

13. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

I use a simple rule. If it drags it gets tossed. Enjoy the sampler. let us know your impressions.

14. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

You may be surprised how differently blades act in different razors. I can get 6-8 shaves out of a Personna Platinum Chrome blade in a merkur progress/HD/34C but in a red tip or 40's style superspeed I can only get about 4 before it becomes uncomfortable. Vice versa with a derby. My derby in my red tip right now is pushing 5 shaves right now and still doing me good.

Given my beard isn't nearly as heavy as many other gents here I still have enough to shave daily, and I do so. My blades last more shaves, but not necessarily longer, in terms of the amount of hair on my face. If you're like me and can shave everyday, then do it. The less a blade has to work against, the longer it'll last you. For instance, I see it like this: If you cut a beard that is a week long grown, then the blade has to work harder, wearing it out faster than if you had shaven every day that week--soooooooo if it cuts less daily that can be better prepped all over, then in theory I imagine it could cut more hairs and last longer.

I could just be nuts but this is how it's been for me so far.

By the way, a 5 pack of a certain blade is not enough to do it justice. I hated derbys when I got my first pack. Love them now. You've gotta remember all the other variables and soon enough, it'll work out.

I was in a huge rush when I started too but now things are settling real well.

15. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

+1 I have so many razors in my rotation that it would take too long to try to track them. If a blade feels like it dragging or pulling, I replace it and put the razor away with a new blade loaded in it. The next time I use this razor it is ready to go and will feel sharp. I get 5 or 6 shaves from DE and SE blades but that is just a WAG. The best rule is; if it doesn't feel sharp when you start to shave with it, replace it no matter how many shaves, blades are inexpensive so why push it with a dull blade! ;)

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I've heard of people using a six sided die to keep track of days.....I just use it until it drags and toss it. I hand strop too, so I get a few extra shaves out of each blade. +1 Steve!

17. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

That die idea doesn't sound so bad. It may not be as functional unless your tracking and blade testing but it would be interesting to watch.

I hand strop too. My blades last quite a while.