Blade Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Mar 31, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

I walked into an older pharmacy where I live to pick up some cough drops and found a pack of Wilkinson 5pc. (Note: I never shaved with DE Safety razor yet, still waiting in the mail).

How does the Personna blades compare to the Wilkinson?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Well I have tried "Labs" , Crystals and Reds as well as Wilkinson.

I prefer the Reds. In my experience the "Labs" Crystals and Wilkinsons were not smooth at all. YMMV of course.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've tried one Israeli Personna - the platinum chrome one. It seemed a little sharper, and longer lasting than the German made Wilkinson Swords but both were pretty decent blades IMO.

When you get right down to it, the only way to know if you'll like them is to try them yourself.

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I concur. I recommend using a new blade on a weekend or Friday night. I realize this might seem comical but it is not the point. If you get a bad shave you do not need to go out into public. Well all know how embarrassing a bad shave can be.

5. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

thanks guys. I still gotta wait for the damn razor to ship from Amazon. I ordered it late Friday and still nothing...ughhh im like a little kid! SHIP ALREADY!

6. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Did you order a sample pack of blades when you ordered the razor? There is nothing like trying a bunch of blades to get the feel for what is out there.

Dave

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What razor did you buy? Remember a DE is not like a cart, no pressure. Take your time. Happy Shaving!

8. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

No I ordered the Merkur 34C on amazon and I know it comes with 1 merkur blade. I wanted to ask round about blades before I bought 100ct. From what I read Personnas are great.

I plan on ordering a sample pack sometime today/tomorrow.

I personally never have shave at the barber or knew anything about straight razor shaving until I saw the commercial for "One Touch" (I know-Corny). Regardless I wanted to give it a shot, but did not want to buy that brand I wanted a good name brand and bought Merkur.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Love my 34C. My first DE. It's the one I would recommend to anyone who asks.

Funny thing about blades -- ask 99 different people which blade is best and you'll get 100 different answers.

Get the sample pack, let your face tell you what blade works for you.

AND DON'T BUY IN BULK UNTIL YOU HAVE FOUND A BLADE FROM THE SAMPLE PACK THAT WORKS FOR YOU. :)

Chuck F and GDCarrington like this.
  10. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Im going to walmart tonight, they may have some other blades. There will just have to be trail and error. Some of the sample packs I saw did not have most the brands I wanted to try so, I'll keep you posted.

11. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Plenty of samplers online TSD, Amazon, ect
    Persona Blues are my favorite, if your in my area I can throw a handful at you or mail em.
    If your going to buy from walmart most likely you are going to pay way to much for something of less quality from what I have seen in the NOVA area.

12. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

13. feeltheburn

I think those Personnas at Sally's are the same as the Labs. If you decide you like them, they're a lot cheaper on Amazon.

14. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Can you send me a link to the Amazon one? I only found $13.67 before shipping, making Ebay cheaper.

Thanks

15. feeltheburn

You found the right ones. They've gone up about a buck and a half since I bought some and I bought a few to get free shipping. Didn't realize they were cheaper on ebay now.

16. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

ok thanks, just wanted to be sure.