Blade question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Omelmad, May 17, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hi people

I'm going through a blade sampler and I'm wondering if the closeness of the shave vary with different brands of blades or is it just me and my technique that dictate that? =)

I just shaved my 2:nd shave with a Super-max stainless. I don't know if I'm imagining it or if the other blades I've tried has given me closer shaves.

Adonis and PatrickA51 like this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Definitely this can be the case. Grind angle, even blade dimensions affect this. Yes, blade dimensions do vary ever so slightly - I have seen a chart where someone micrometered blades and found ever so slight variations in blade width. Sometimes I think even the phase of the moon must have an effect!

3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

IMO it's a combination of both technique and the blade that results in a good shave. Not including the preshave and lather. As jeraldgordon said, moon phase may have a lot to do with it also! lol

4. Omelmad

I know I don't have the best technique. But what I do know is that sharks and astras give me a closer shave that the supermax stainless does. I will se how supermax platinum performes =P

Don't get me wrong, they did deliver a good shave and irritationfree. But you know I'm trying to get the shave as close as I can with a WTG and an XTG pass =)

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

As always and certainly with blades: it is a YMMV thing. Some blades give you easy close shaves and others may not. For someone else it may be just the other way round. And then the same blade may perform better (or worse) in another razor. That is the nice thing about blade samplers. You can try and find out what works best for you. :)

6. Omelmad

Thank you =)

I think the supermax stainless would be good in a open comp. who knows =P

It did a good job but not close enough. I don't dare to increase pressure hahah

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Yes I have to agree.
    I have all kinds of blades. I find that if I do not take my time I get a so so shave.Also I have found that if I Do Not use a pre-shave oil I get a mediocre if I Do use a pre-shave oil I get an excellent shave, no matter what blade I use. So YMMV

Omelmad likes this.
  8. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I have not had good luck with any Supermax blades.....I have tried the Stainless and Platinum.

9. Omelmad

I always use pre shave oil. I believe it improves the shave.

I just gotta go to the next blade. =)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. Omelmad

The blade was fine. Just wasn't the right one for me =)

macaronus and PatrickA51 like this.