Blade Reviews Thread - read the rules before posting

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BaylorGator, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's one if the sharpest blades in the world. You had a great technique day!

2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

So I should give it another shot when I start using my adjustable then?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. LevelupShaves

I'm starting to notice a pattern here...
    Loving Feathers as well I think I prefer sharper blades.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Why an adjustable? I've gleaned you need aggressive razor heads, per your posts. If your growth is dense with thick hair shafts, mild is a recipe for irritation. You need gap, exposure and the ability to bring the blade in at a low angle. Try it on eight or nine.

Want the straight dope?

You're destined for the Dark Side.

5. Bama Samurai

And to make a sharp blade comfortable, the attack angle must stay low. As your skills increase, you are naturally drawn to the more efficient tools.

Spyder, Keithmax and LevelupShaves like this.
  6. LevelupShaves

I believe you are correct though it may be a little ways down the road. I haven't even used my 3 new DEs I got for my birthday yet and I've only used my SS I won in the newbie give away a couple of times. Next week to end my focus and test how much better my technique has gotten over the last two months I'm going to use a different razor each day it's the only Variable I haven't experimented with yet.

Spyder likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

The best advice I ever got...

Master all DE, like Shave in the dark mastery. This takes about a year or so, realistically.
    Schick G for a month or two
    Straights
    Shavette

It actually gets more comfortable as you progress down the list.

Spyder, Keithmax and LevelupShaves like this.
  8. LevelupShaves

Sounds like a plan
    One question though Shavettes after straights? Wouldn't have guessed

Spyder and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Shavette blades are sharper and thinner than traditional. They take a touch, one must learn to "feel the blade edge at all times". Hard to explain, but easier with a heavier straight blade. Also, the margin for error is greater with a straight, and so probably safer for learning. DE based Shavettes are the trickiest tools out there, and by logical extension, the most gentle. Shavettes require touch and precision, and will cut the skin without causing any pain. A traditional straight will "hang up" for a a brief moment and scream at the user, giving the shaver time to back off before getting cut. @PickledNorthern learned on Shavette. I solicit his thoughts here.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. The regular straight is easier actually. A shavette takes an extra layer of dark to run. They are deep into the dark side. A lot of fun though and cheap to play with. I predict your going to have a lot of fun with aggressive razors. Let me know when you get ready for some real fun. I will loan you a Open Comb Micro Matic!!

11. LevelupShaves

Bully! When the time comes I'll go you!

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good man.

Proceed along the path!

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I got 8 very nice shaves out of a Bic CP in my Fayboy on 5. It was still smooth and tug free at the end, I just noticed that my shaves weren't as close as they were when the blade was new.

Bama Samurai and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'll be ordering some in a couple of days. Even if I get four or five shaves from them, I'll be happy....

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And if you'd like to sample the Neillite 400, which is fairly up there on the aggressive list and I can barely tolerate it, say the word.

16. LevelupShaves

Probably about 6 or so months down the road but I'll have a go at that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was going to do a review of SE blades...but really. The choice is carbon steel or stainless. They are all basically from the same company. Dorco makes some that will not slice warm butter so they do not count. Coatings are silly and the carbon steel is smoother to me. The down side is drying them after use. With the SE though you have a dull edge to hold on to. So I mostly just get what I can. I use to much prefer PAL because I could get local. Now I am moving more toward the CVS or Walgreens blades. Pretty much all the same.

18. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Gillette Brazilian Platinum-Plus, first impression:

'50 Super Speed, Mariana Cottage "Hometown Hero" soap

Downside, of course, is the price: $6.99 (Walgreen's website) for three tucks containing only three blades each, and the four glue spots on each blade. I can live with the latter, but not the former. Hopefully, the price will come down. If not, there are many alternatives that are as good (and better).

It is a smooth blade, I'll give it that. Sharp, too...if I had to compare, I'd say it's close to a BIC Chrome (which I also like). Not as good as the vintage Platinum-Plus, though. I'd used my ball-end Tech last night with a Polsilver SI (dang, I'd forgotten what a good razor that was), so I didn't have a whole lot of beard to take off. I may skip tomorrow night and see how it does on a heavier beard.

BaylorGator likes this.
  19. LevelupShaves

Alright decided to forego the second use of a derby tonight and give a Treet Platinum a try.
    Least favorite blade I've used so far it's smooth but not as smooth as a derby but requires just as much work. I got a close low irritation shave with it but it took all of my focus to do so. This blade really seemed to catch a lot on me tonight and I only have a single days growth. This is really the only blade so far that I feel goes on my just not interested list. I'm not writing the brand off though I've heard the black carbons are pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and BaylorGator like this.
  20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Good to know. I've got several as the result of a den purchase. Derbies are my least favorite blade so far, so I think I may pass on the Treets as well. Or maybe try them in a slant...
    Enjoying the reviews @LevelupShaves!

Bama Samurai likes this.