Blade that has the most rust-resistance.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I noticed that when I pulled out my Gillette '47-'52 era Superspeed, the Gillette Green SuperStainless had developed rust on my classic razor. Luckily a bit of CLR removed the rust perfectly (and I'm not sure if CLR is even a product that should ever be used on nickel, hopefully it is harmless to the replated finish).

This brings up a question. This is the first full year that I have wetshaved with classic gear and noticed some blades can rust if left in the razor for 3-4 weeks. Does anyone know if there are blades that resist rusting? I know that the Gillette Green SuperStainless is prone to that and I had this happen from this blade in two of my razors (Old Type and now Superspeed).

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed rust on my Gillette razor using any blade. I shake off the water before putting it on the rack. However, I haven't used the super stainless in quite a while, so maybe it is just an issue with that blade.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My wife shaved her legs with an Astra SP about once a week.
    I would take it out, dry the razor and hand strop the blade for her when she finished.
    The blade would last 4-5 shaves. I never noticed any rust.

4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have never had that issue with a DE blade, but I lost a pack of 100 SE blades due to corrosion. I solved the issue by storing my blades outside of the bathroom. My reasoning was that even with a good fan in the bathroom, the blades were subjected daily to at least short periods of very high moisture daily. I have never had an issue since then.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

True. Good move.
    I keep all my blades in a cigar box with a few desiccant packs tossed in. The box is kept upstairs in my office.
    I do keep a few blades in the medicine cabinet, kept in their wrapper. Some have been there a couple three months. No sign of rust.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  6. Tim Spencer

Hmm. I was hoping someone actually knew if there were any blades manufactured specifically to resist rusting.

7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Stainless will resist rust primarily due to the chromium mixed with the iron to form the alloy. There are other metals in the alloy as well but the chromium is the primary rust fighter. But even high grade stainless will eventually rust. I have never seen any rust on my blades - even on the ones I leave in razors for a couple weeks at a time. My bulk blades are stored in fishing tackle boxes in the office and I have desiccant packs thrown in for good measure. Blades are so cheap I usually toss them after three shaves anyway.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I think my Astras seem to resist rust better than other brands such as Sharps or 7 AMs.

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I keep my blades stored in a bathroom cupboard in a couple cardboard boxes without any desiccant packs or anything and have never noticed any rust. Mind you the humidity level in Saskatchewan is very low most of the time anyway so even the bathroom doesn't get very humid. (The mirror fogs up after a shower is run maybe once every six months.) And I have never noticed any rust on blades being used even when left in a razor for a run of a couple weeks. Of course, I rinse off my blades and shake them and the razors dry after shaving.

Also, I think all the blades I use are platinum coated. That may make a difference too.

10. brit

brit in a box

i shave every 2-4 days.i leave the blade in the razor but rinse it with hot water ,air dry and remove the tension off of the tto or handle(tech).so far no corrosion from the blades.i also store my blades,razors and soaps outside of the bathroom.

11. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I user Personna Labs and I haven't had any rust issues. You could also try dipping your razor in alcohol after you shave. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I've heard it helps.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have a set of nesting coffee cups, you may have seen them at a church or hospital cafeteria years ago.

Anyway, I put about two inches of 90% rubbing alcohol in the bottom cup. After shaving, I rinse the razor in hot, running water and then put the razor in the alcohol, head first. The razor stays in the alcohol bath while I go through my clean up routine. After clean up, I slap on the a/s, take the razor out of the alcohol bath and hang it up. The bottom cup gets topped off with the other cup, and really limits evaporation of the alcohol.

I have been doing this for seven years and do not recall ever having a rusty blade or razor, regardless of brand, even the carbon Treet blades. It also did not matter how many razors I had in rotation. At one time my rotation was around thirty razors, each with its own blade. Now I am down to just one, the 2011 R41.

Try an alcohol bath, see if that helps with your rust problem.

P.S. if you leave the razor in the alcohol for a few days, it will damage your finish. Do not forget to pull the razor out of the bath the day you use it.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Don't leave the blade in..

14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have never had a blade to rust. However, I change the blade after three shaves so that may be the reason. Also, I would think the old carbon steel blades would rust fairly quickly but have no scientific evidence.

brit likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Don't you think that stainless steel fits the bill? Before that many blades were carbon steel, which rusts overnight.

americanshamrock likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

Shaving has never been soooooo complicated..

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Drops the mic and walks away........

A mod could just as well lock this one up.

brit, jtspartan, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

;) truth.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  19. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

The one sure way. Good advice.:happy088:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. Tim Spencer

LOL. But I'm lazy when it comes to the blade part. If that's what it takes then I will likely start removing the blades but seems like more effort than should be needed in an already multi-step shave process. But I enjoy it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.