Bottle for decanting aftershave splashes possibility

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by McGrande, Feb 28, 2018.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I picked up one of these bottles at Dollar Tree the other day. It's intended for vinegar which is what I got it for. Filled right now with malt vinegar. One does not eat fish & chips without malt vinegar.

Anyway, the color of the malt vinegar reminded me of Pinaud Special Reserve and of course my next thought was...."Hey, these bottles might work well for AS."

Might be hard to see in the pic, but the pressure stopper has two seals. (not sure if alcohol would dissolve them over time) Inside the stopper is a smaller tube which would be ideal for metering out any decanted splashes. It has a much smaller opening than Aqua Velva or Pinaud bottles.

I know there is a consensus here that plastic bottles taint the scent after some time. There was also a thread (which I can't find) on how to remove labels from the plastic bottles and affix them to the glass bottles. Any help there much appreciated.

Here are a few pics.

Vinegar1.JPG Vinegar2.JPG Vinegar3.JPG

RyX likes this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

As for the alcohol destroying the seals ... I don't think so, but you can find out by trying. As for the labels, experiment on a junk bottle from a kitchen, but I heard a carefully used hair dryer works.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  3. McGrande

UPDATE!!!!

Save your dollar friends. As stated in the first post, I was using the bottle as intended (vinegar). Well, 10 days later the stopper has failed. I've used this bottle 2 times and last night when I went to sprinkle some malt vinegar on my fish & chips, the stopper assembly fell apart. I was merely pulling off the attached top cap and the metal portion ended up in my hand and the seals remained in the neck of the bottle.

Not a good item for aftershave decanting.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Check with your local restaurant supply store, or online shop for a better quality replacement. I used a similar but upgraded type for an AS purchased a couple years ago. Standard cheap plastic container didn't suit my desires so I used a tiny funnel (perfume funnel ;)) to get most of the liquid into an upcycled sauce bottle This one has a metal flap that helps to keep the good stuff in altho it's not as airtight as the malt vinegar stopper. No significant loss of fluid, but alcohol evaporation can be replaced by adding vodka, Everclear, or an adult distillation of your choice.
    decant stopper.gif
    As to moving labels I've had many Pinaud successes & one spectacular Lucky Tiger failure. After transferring the juice to a new glass bottle, be sure to clean off any over spill on the exterior. Much like the hair dryer suggestion - heat may soften the glue. I filled the empty plastic bottle with water up to the top of the label, placed in the microwave, and gave it short burst of warming. Just before the water boils two things happen. The glue softens, and so does the bottle. The label may be carefully lifted off the original and quickly placed on the new before the hot glue cools. Didn't work on whatever adhesive LT uses, but Pinaud did very well. Also moved an Aqua Velva label. The metallic components in the sticker make lovely sparkles as the microwave imparts energy. Hardly damaged the label!
    Perfume funnels.gif Keep your eyes open for vintage bottles while yard sailing or in antique stores. Some repurposed bottles have flow restrictors molded into the glass, but caps may be difficult to match up to modern thread patterns.

5. McGrande

Thanks so much for the info RyX! I'll give it a go and seek out some restaurant grade bottles.

RyX likes this.
  6. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I usually use cleaned hot sauce bottles.Crystal hot sauce has a nice shape to the bottle and a plastic flow reducer that pops out which makes for easy fill.I have several that are a 3-4 years old.Texas Pete and Tabasco type bottles you will need a small funnel and steady hands.

Enrico likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I save the dye applicator bottles from my wife's hair coloring. It comes to a nice point to refill AS bottles.
    applicator6_1024x1024.jpeg