Bought my first DE razor today, a Gillette Super Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gymbo88, Jan 21, 2014.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "gymbo88".....I hope you enjoy it here...:)

:happy096:What a "FANTASTIC" score a Gillette Super Adjustable for only $10!!! Man, if it's in decent condition, you just got a "GREAT" deal on a "Great" razor..:happy088:

I'd also suggest starting on the 1-3 settings at first..You can load the blade either side up, but whenever you make or change the adjustment setting do make sure the TTO doors are loose, don't tighten them up until after you make your adjustment, then load your blade and your ready to shave..
    Now while your waiting for your razor to arrive to should gather the other stuff you'll need...
    First a large blade sample pack(you'll need to go online for this, JoAnn has one here)...The more different blades you can try the better, in order to find the "BEST" blade/blades for your face..
    Next you'll need a good shave soap or cream, either VDH Delux shave soap or C.O. Bigelow cream should take care of it, both are locally available,work well and are inexpensive..
    Along with the shave soap/cream a workable brush and bowl are good things to have...Again look to VDH for an inexpensive,locally available shave kit(brush, bowl and a puck of Delux soap)..While the VDH brush isn't the best, it will get you started and the bowl and soap are excellent!! You can also just get a brush and use a large coffee mug to save some money...
    Last two things to get you started, if you want to use them(some like using these and some don't), are a preshave, I use "Corn Huskers Lotion" again its locally available(CVS), inexpensive and works as well for me as either Proraso or Jack Black "YMMV" for alot less money and a postshave balm, I use Nivea sensitive inexpenisve and works "Great"!!
    Good luck on your new adventure,I'm pretty sure like most of us your going to love it...:shaver

Cool Breeze likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My recommendations for folks who are new to the adjustable:

Shave 1 - set at 3, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 2 - set at 4, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 3 - set at 5, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 4 - set at 6, etc., etc., etc.,

Continue advancing one click every shave until you hit that setting that is just a tad too aggressive, back it down one, and there is your sweet spot. Once you've improved your technique, then you can play around with different settings for different passes, but you'll always know where that sweet spot is should you need to come back to it.

3. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Blade does not matter...it can go in the razor on either side up.

It has been suggested to me to only adjust it with the doors open....less stressful on the mechanism.

I believe a #3 setting is compatible with an average DE razor.

If you have not tried Astra SP'S yet give them a try...they work great in my SA.....A lot of people like them.

Great Razor...you will enjoy it.

4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Awesome advise all around , the tips other members gave you about completing your adjustment BEFORE tightening down the doors.
    It will prolong the life of your razors small parts considerably. Those razors are built extremely well and robust but keep in mind their age and the fact that parts are hard to find.