Brand new to this hobby: Gillette super speed - just bought one

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dr. Fitness, May 3, 2009.

1. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

If you're looking for a cooling effect, then you might like an aftershave with menthol. Mentholated aftershaves take a little getting used to. Also, most come with a high alcohol content. I suspect you can find an alcohol free menthol aftershave, but I don't know of one off the top of my head.

The good thing about menthol aftershaves is that they're easy to find locally and they're cheap.

One example is green Skin Bracer but there are many others.

I like aftershaves with a high alcohol content and lots of menthol. The alcohol closes minor nicks and the menthol cools. Oh, and skin bracer does have a scent but it's mild and fades quickly.

EDIT: skin bracer and alcohol based aftershaves do sting when applied, esp. if you've nicked yourself or shaved too closely.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Aftershave sometimes has a scent, but it isn't perfume. And it will help take care of your skin after the shave.

TSD Aftershave Milk, no alcohol.

3. harlekin

harlekin New Member

I currently use witch hazel after every shave. You can buy it at any drugstore. It typically has a bit of alcohol in it, but Thayers makes some alcohol free WH. It is an astringent and soothes a bit, though after a rough shave the alcohol can burn a little. The downside to alcohol is that it burns and tends to dry your skin out a little bit. A good aftershave will tend to have moisturizing ingredients too though. If I have a rough shave I'll usually use a balm after the WH dries. I currently use the Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm, which works quite well for me.

As Mike was saying, menthol is a good addition to AS. It will cool the burn and is also a bit of a topical anaesthetic.

I do have a TSD AS Milk sample on order, so I may be changing my routine.

4. Dr. Fitness

Dr. Fitness New Member

I got some aftershave (Aqua Velva ice blue) at Target today (talk about a crummy selection), but my bathroom is being remodeled and I probably won't be able to take a shower for a day or so :sick007

BTW, I live in Los Angeles and in downtown there is a cutlery store called Ross Cutlery with a HUGE selection of shaving stuff. You wanna talk about nice stuff. Got no problem there. I even got me a switchblade there

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Hmm, going to have to pay a visit to a DC knife store. Good advice.

6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I have wondered about the short handles myself at first, but quickly realized that they're really all you need. All you have to do is gently guide the razor over your face without pressing against the skin. This is in stark contrast to some cartridge razors where one often has to press down and scrape the skin in order for any whiskers to be removed--requiring a solid, firm grip on the handle.