Brand stinking new here, old timer with new EJ

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joel Stern, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Joel Stern

Joel Stern New Member

Things sure have changed. I grew up on double sided razors (pardon me while I learn all of the terminology). It was all we had, just turn the bottom and put a blade in. Never knew about a 3 piece razor. I have hated the blades that are so popular now that get clogged up and never allow a good shave. While I only have a small area I shave now due to a short cropped beard I want to be groomed. So I lurked and saw some postings and bought this:
    Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome Plated Lined Detail, Chrome
    I am not sure I love the handle, it is a bit short so more reading and the Weber Bulldog and classic both just handles or complete razors. The classic is longer, not sure if it is thinner or the same as the Bulldog. Some help would be appreciated. I have no trouble using the EJ, one poster mentioned the Weber as more aggressive but I do not know what this means. I probably will not be more nuts than having one or two good razors with handles I really like.

Also, in addition to the Derby's that came with the EJ I bought some Wilkinson Classic blades (I did say I was old). These were what my father used, so advise here would also be appreciated.

When I read the reviews on Amazon about blood and cuts I thought, did I forget, but no I did no, my experience has been to enjoy a wonderful shave and think of shaving my beard (it felt that good).

Thanks in advance

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Hey....I resemble that remark. Welcome to the forum, and I used to purchase Wilkinson Sword Double Edge Blades. I have been thinking about getting a Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor, but I'm sort of a cheap #@%*& (you fill it in.) I also hate the blades that are so popular now that get clogged up and never allow a good shave. The only disposable razors that I ever liked were ones that I got at medical supply store (Surgical DE Razors) Again welcome to TSD. :shaver

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome & that's a beautiful guitar in your avi. What is it?

As to blades, Derbys don't have a great reputation around here, but they may work for you. I'd recommend getting a sampler pack from any one of a number of vendors and see what works best for you. Blades are very YMMV. My favs. are Astra SPs.

4. Joel Stern

Joel Stern New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Patrick The EJ was only $35 on Amazon, sure more than plastic but add in blades.

Richard, that is a Martin 00-18 with some custom features(top, burst, tuners low profile neck), my favorite ever guitar. I also have a custom Martin 000, need the customs due to arthritis and a thinner neck, that one is Koa and Spruce with a warmer burst.... Thanks on your compliment and blade info

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

6. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Welcome to TSD! Glad you found us Joel.

Johndc likes this.
  7. richgem

You're welcome. I love sunburst guitars. I have an Squire Afinity Strat in sunburst and an Epiphone DR-100 in all black. But.. then, I'm just learning to play in fits and starts.

offroad64 likes this.
  8. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Power cords are easy for a Penguin:happy102:

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. richgem

Indeed they are. :p
    (It's holding on to the pick that's the problem. :( )

macaronus likes this.
  10. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Welcome Joel. I have an Edwin Jagger razor similar to yours. I also thought the handle was a bit short, but after a couple of weeks it seemed fine. Been using it for two years now and don't plan to change. For what it's worth, I thought the Derby blades were about the worst that I tried. After going through a large sampler pack of different blades, I settled on the Astra SP blades.

Nice guitar! Hopefully you're an UMGF member as well.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

12. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

13. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

14. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

15. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Welcome to The Shave Den! :D
    My first safety razor was an Edwin Jagger DE89L. It's a great razor.

16. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Weber BullDog and Classic handles are excellent, I have both, they both have "GREAT" knurling and weight, although I prefer the BullDog length..The BullDog and Classic weigh the same, the Classic is longer than both the BullDog and the EJ89 handle..They are both quality handles...There is another handle I own called a griestshaving GS1, it's shorter than the Classic,it's only a little longer than the EJ,but its heavier I believe....:)
    If you'd like to check out inexpesive handles look at the Cadet razors at "shaveabuck", they aren't stainless,but they offer some long handles and shave heads for cheaper than the stainless handles..:)

18. Joel Stern

Joel Stern New Member

Thanks all. I did not get any notifications but decided to check.. I have the Astra blades in my Amazon basket and will try them. After using those 2$3 blade razors anything seems better.

Thanks again.

19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

20. Joel Stern

Joel Stern New Member

Another question as I get ready to buy a Weber handle. Are the heads better than the EJ I am using?

Thx