broken fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, May 8, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

so you think I could put on a retaining ring, then just tap the handle back in to place? I think it is worth a try. Any idea what I could use for a ring?

2. riffin

riffin Active Member

It might be worth a try. I don't think I'd tap it in, at least not hard. I'd compress the ring and finesse it in as gently as possible. If the ring rolls out of the groove, you could get it pretty tightly wedged or end scoring or maybe ever cracking the handle from the inside. OTOH, as it is now, this is a parts razor and it seems that getting the parts out would be a destructive process anyway.

Things to consider would be if there is a renegade ring in there somewhere. If so it'd be better to get it out first. Also, it's just a guess how the innards really work. That's why I asked (naively) what the inside looked like. I remember seeing an ebay auction for a Gillette TTO (maybe Toggle) cut in half and set in a block of acrylic. Pretty cool! I can't find any cutaway images/drawings on the web, but there must be some out there somewhere.

Looking at your pictures again, it might be that the groove on the outside of the handle at the bottom, just above the knob has a corresponding bump in the inside that fits into the groove on the knob. If that's how it's made, that would mean there is no retaining ring and the bump inside is broken or worn.

My Personna DE has a thin round wire ring that's split and opened to be slightly larger than the diameter of the groove. The ring should be springy so it can flex and return without bending. I'd look for a coil spring that is about the same size and snip off one revolution and shape it into an open ring.

Does that make sense?