Brush Durability Question/Advise

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by T.J., Jul 4, 2017.

1. T.J.

T.J. Member

I bought a Parker Silver Tip Brush a year ago, I really like it but it has started shedding, short and long hairs come off almost every day, I have tried cleaning it, shampooing it, conditioner and I still get 4-6 hairs every time I shave, 4-5 times a week.

Here are my questions :

1) How long should I expect a brush to last?
    2) Should I have more than 1 brush and rotate them?
    3) Is there a real difference between super badger and silver tip?
    4) I am looking for a replacement, does brand and were it was made make a difference?
    5) Should I give Parker another shot? Or go with ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

T.J.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have that problem from a well known vendors boar brush. It would shed 15-20 each shave. This went on for a while. I contacted the vendor, and he recommend combing it while wet, with a fine tooth comb, four around 5 minutes.
    Man, a lot of hairs came out, but it seemed to tame it's shedding. Only 1-2 fall out per shave now.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

1- I have several vintage (40-50 years old) badger and boar brushes with their original knot that I still use, if that's any indication of how long they should last. I don't baby my brushes, but I don't abuse them, either. Take cate of them and they'll last many years.

2- I will never tell someone they don't need more shave gear ;)

3- No idea. But I do know there is no agreed upon standard for grading

4- Yes. A bad brand is a bad brand. That said, there are some inexpensive brands out there that are very good. Not always a case of "you get what you pay for. "

5- Go with Omega or Semogue. It's a rare thing to hear any negative about either.

Zykris, lightcs1776 and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have 2 synthetics that never shed!
    1. You probably need another brush or 3. Look for the known brands as Steve suggests. I started with an Omega boar and an Omega badger as well as a Vie-Long horse. My synthetics are razorock's plissoft and a The Golden Nib synthetic in a Burma Shave handle.
    2. I use 1 brush at a time (don't rotate regularly) and try to use that same brush for at least a week (I live in a very arid climate with extremely low humidity so rarely worry about the brush drying out.

RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I can't comment on badger brushes, but my Semogue boar brushes have barely shed since I bought them 2 1/2 years ago. I have a variety of synthetic brushes, with a couple from Maggards, and I think maybe one bristle came off in two years.

There is a difference in quality from one brand to another. If you're looking for a badger, others will chime in.

6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

When I first started shaving, back when Ike was still President, my dad said that I should always let a brush dry at least one full day before getting reused. That set it at two brushes at a minimum. IIRC they were $0.50 each which at that age was three gallons of gas or skipping one date.

Time passed, brushes came and left. The stash accumulated. Today it is a regular rotation of two sets, weekday brushes (generally medium sized) and weekend (BIG Mamajamas) brushes. Excess brushes get to rest in the Guest bathroom and since it's been over a decade since I had a guest it's restful.

Zykris, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Some shedding is normal with badger brushes. But if you feel it's excessive, then you have a poor brush. I can't give an exact number as to how long a brush should last, but my hubby (who just has one silvertip badger brush) has had it for at least 6 years.
    As for the brush you have, if you love the handle, you may want to consider re-knotting it. My favorite sources for knots are;
    www.thegoldennib.com
    www.whippeddog.com

Both of these suppliers are modestly priced.

Zykris, theFAT98 and RyX like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I do not think that shedding (after an appropriate break-in time) is normal. I have 11 brushes (Badger, Boar & Synthetic). ONE brush, a Semogue SOC Boar) was a shedder (5-6 bristles every shave). I sold it. Personally, I can't put up with a shedding brush.
    Side note: the irony here is that I have two of the most profuse shedding dogs God ever created: Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. :chores016:

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with Synthetics, and I have quite a few of them. Had 3 boars, only one of which shed. I have two badgers, and the nicer of the two Envy Silvertip) ended up being a shedder. It's currently with Nathan, waiting for his wrist to heal so he can replace the knot.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

1) it depends, but a few years at least
    2) many wet shavers do rotate brushes (myself included)
    3) I believe there is a definitive difference
    4) yes, the brand matters. Some are simply made better. Where it is made doesn't matter really, but some area/artisans are known for higher quality.
    5) I would go with another brand if, for no other reason, to change it up. There are many brands out there and everyone has their favorite, but consider price point and look at reviews. If you can't afford a $300 brush...who cares if someone says it is the best? Obviously, the material matters as well.

Most seasoned wet shavers tend to prefer synthetics or badger (finest/super or silver tip). There is something to be said for each. I greatly prefer synthetics. That is a statement I honestly thought I would NEVER make, but through trial and error, I found it to be true.

For what's it's worth, here are my suggestions:
    For a low cost boar, go with omega
    Stirling soaps has some of the highest quality badger and synthetics for the lowest prices.
    @Jayaruh also has some beautiful and incredibly affordable brushes. I would contact him if I were you.

If you want to go with a top-end brush, decide on a budget first. These can be a rabbit hole. I like Wolf Whiskers brushes, but I will admit that they are hard to get sometimes.

Before going any further, go look up stirling soap dot com, wolf Whiskers dot com, and check out Jayaruh's items here on TSD

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used my Turkish bestshave.net #6 horse hair brush exclusively since I started "traditional" shaving 6/7 years ago. It's quite comfortable, only loses one or two hairs every several months and best of all to me is it's dirt cheap(mine was like $5 shipped)! For the price I think everyone should give it a try.:)

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have a Shavemac D01 Two-band Silvertip Badger Flattop that I have been using daily for the last 14 months and it has not shed a single hair.

13. T.J.

T.J. Member

You folks are either awesome or enablelers, don't know which yet,,,, looking at Edwin Jagger Large silver tip, couple of synthetics and looking for Jayaruh's stuff.

Thanks for taking the time and posting advise!

Douglas Carey and Zykris like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Awesome OR enablers? Can't we be both?

Bird Lives, Zykris and swarden43 like this.
  15. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

For the price i personally wouldnt go with parker again. In my opinion there are better brushes for around the same money or less.

Omega or semogue boars are really nice. Maggard or razorock synthetics.

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

All of the latest and greatest synthetic brushes blow everything out of the water, price, quality durability.
    Going natural? RazoRock, Whipped Dog, Stirling and Maggard.
    Just because it doesn't carry a $100 or more price tag doesn't mean it's not great.

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Well, I have to politely disagree. I love my synthetic (Simpson CH2), but it hardly blows my Paladin Chief "out of the water". Not by a long shot. JMO.

Douglas Carey, Zykris and chevyguy like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Disagree. Opinion. I prefer a 22m badger, so for me, my best badger set in elk antler by @gssixgun blows everything out of the water.
    So true. Many great brushes out there can be had for so little cash!

Zykris, Primotenore and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Making lather with far less soap and water is not an opinion. Non porous fiber is less hospitable to microbes than natural hair, and costs less. All empirically and quantifiably true, and demonstrable.

Preference? I can see the case for skin feel.

What's the evidence based argument for Badger beyond that?

(respectfully asked, your opinion is strong, I respect your choices)

20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

My Merkur silvertip sheds a couple hairs per use and its only a couple months old. Hopefully it stops shedding soon but if I dont, I will wait until its time and then I will simple replace the bristles on it. Its actually not that hard to do, all you need is a Dremel to remove the old glue. I love the handle on it, so I wont just throw it out.
    As for how long a brush should last, it depends how much you use it. With daily use, Ive heard that you can expect a brush to last 5-10 years, although Ive heard of some vintage brushes that were used daily for 30 years and were still going strong.