Brush Durability Question/Advise

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by T.J., Jul 4, 2017.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds like a topic for a new thread.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I believe newbies need to try products and make their own decisions---just like 99% of us on this forum did. Suggestions are fine, but that's all they should be. Heck, if everyone listened to the dictate that synthetic brushes are the BEST and you shouldn't even bother with any other hair type, no one would own anything BUT synthetics...I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

theFAT98 and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Challenge accepted. :)

I've had several synthetics, and once a person learns to lather them, they are not much different than a badger...

But, with a badger knot, not only can the loft and depth be customized (just like a synthetic) the density of the knot can be customized too.

No matter how densely you pack a synthetic knot, there is a limit that cannot be passed. Also, once a certain diameter has been reached, a synthetic cannot be made larger (I believe it's 32mm), as the bristles will just form a tube instead of fanning out.

Within those limitations, a synthetic works well, but can neither approach the density of an extra-stuffed hand made badger knot, or the size of some of the custom knots coming out of China. (Granted, I think anything over 27mm is ludicrous).
    1. Ten years of use. Twenty to twenty five if rotated out every other day. (EDIT: If you store them wet in an enclosed cabinet, expect them to last only six months to a year).
    2. Depends on the brush type. If natural, yes. If synthetic, not necessary.
    3. No. One is American terminology, the other is British.
    4. How it is made is more important than where it is made.
    5. No.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Good stuff!

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I forgot to add, if you put your brush away wet in an enclosed cabinet, expect it to last six months to a year, maximum. A badger brush should be allowed to dry 24-36 hours before being stored. Boar, 12 hours, and synthetic, a couple of hours.

Bama Samurai and Primotenore like this.
  6. T.J.

T.J. Member

Going for it!

Decided to order a 22mm knot and going to try reknoting my Parker Silver tip with a knot from Larry at whipped dog

PLUS order one of his long handle 24 knot silver tip brushes, in case I desteoy my Parker in the reknotting process, at worse I will have 1 silver tip brushes and a entry level The Art of Shaving badge brush,,,, all OK DOS silver tip brushes,,,

swarden43 likes this.
  7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Not too long ago I found a couple boxes filled with junk including mismatched shoe laces, near empty tins of neetsfoot oil and shoe polish, many razors and some shaving mugs and a couple old pucks of shaving soap plus some old brushes. Some of the brushes looked almost new even though the newest of them was likely at least a quarter century old. In several I've cleaned up a good washing in warm water with a little dish detergent and borax brought the brushes back to near new shape; not just usable but quite nice.

One Pure Badger brush that turned out really nicely looks like what today is sold as Silver Tip and is from a company called Peerless. From what I have been able to find online the Peerless Brush Company went out of business in the 1970s or 1980s. That makes that brush at least 27 years old and very likely older.

I will try to get more of the old brushes cleaned up but one or two at a time.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

PICS, MAN!!! WE GOTTA HAVE PICS!!!

EnglishChannel likes this.
  9. jar

jar Well-Known Member

They are coming eventually but here are a few of the non-brush goodies that were in the boxes but the Tabac was not in there.

[​IMG]

10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Got a few cleaned up. More still soaking.

[​IMG]
    From the left: an Unknown boar; a Surrey Boar (Surrey was later bought by Van der Hagen); EverReady 100 Boar; a Century Pure Badger, EverReady 300PBT Badger; MadeRite 500PB; the Peerless Pure Badger​

EnglishChannel and jtspartan like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Any current production 22-24mm Plisson/Plissoft or Tuxedo is the best overall choice when looking for a daily driver as a newbie.

This is the type brush a newbie should get if they are looking for one brush to learn upon and grow into.

I wanted very badly to like my $150 TOBS super Badger, but it is inferior in every way to my $30 Plisson and Tuxedo. Tuxedo is almost identical in performance. Badger is for bowl lathering traditionalists who aren't concerned with anything much other than skin feel, and at the lower price levels Badger is an awful performer. Badger is also wholly inferior to modern synthetics for face lathering, as it takes tons more soap and water to get the same performance as synthetic.

12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have to agree. Tuxedo knots are the best. I have literally tried every type of knot available and they outperform them all...and at a cheaper price than most.

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You are entitled to your opinion. I have the same brush and I love it. I do, however, prefer my Badger brushes if it is a good knot. JMO.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Primotenore likes this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

For me the evidence is that they work best for me. YMMV.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I prefer my badgers too Douglas. I think that we are on the same page here.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I guess that is a good thing Joseph. :eatdrink047:

Primotenore likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The first on the left I believe is a Marvy boar bristle brush. Still sold today. Great haul.
    [​IMG]

18. jar

jar Well-Known Member

That certainly does look like it. Thanks.

19. jar

jar Well-Known Member

So far I've tried two and over the next week or so I hope to try most of them. The two I've tried so far are the Peerless and EverReady 300; both did every bit as well as any of my new brushes.. Next up will the the Boar brushes.

I took a picture just for fun of the Peerless beside a Thater Silvertip, Zenith Manchurian and Kent BLK 4, all somewhat similar size brushes.

[​IMG]

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good shot.:happy088: