Brush Durability Question/Advise

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by T.J., Jul 4, 2017.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

A good brush will provide with 20 years of exclusive service.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I do not tolerate shedding brushes, past the initial stage. And my brushes typically last for many years.

178-bplatoon, Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

+1 :signs011: :signs015:

5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Got two more cleaned up and ready to use and both are very nice badgers. The Simm's was almost stuck on the handle of the EverReady 100 and it looks like some of the red color may have stained the Simm's handle. Not sure I will be able to get it all out but most is gone.

[​IMG]

Sara-s, Douglas Carey and Enrico like this.
  6. T.J.

T.J. Member

First Thank You Sara-S for the link to Whipped Dog, great customer service and product!

I ordered a 22mm Silver Tip knot and could not help myself, I also ordered a long handle with 24mm silver tip knot, drilled +5mm,,, now the results.

Tried "steaming" the shedding knot off my Parker with negative results, then I remembered the warning on Larry's knot and brush
    "Do not soak brush in hot water since it may affect the glue holding the knot together " so I figured, why not? I dipped the brush in the hot water I used to try to steam the knot off and turned the knot upside down so the water would run into the handle, did this twice and VIOLA! knot came off in two pieces!! Then found out the 22mm knot was too small,,,,, emailed Larry and no problem exchanging it.

Lucky for me I had ordered a "spare" brush,,, here is my review:

Outstanding ! Cant wait for the 24mm knot so I can have two.

Now, another newbie question,,, as with Golf Clubs, does brand really matter or is it was you like? Is brand status sometimes a deciding factor what you buy?

T.J.

Sara-s and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Just as with golf clubs different makers brushes will also show different characteristics. There will be more variation between natural brushes than with synthetic brushes. Handle shape and material will also make a difference. None of the variations though are necessarily better or worse. Almost any brush will work.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi Troy!!

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Hi Kerry!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

In your case, definitely! But some of these other dudes....I'm a little worried about :happy097:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Sara-s likes this.
  11. Bird Lives

Atta boy Eddie...Horse Hair Rules!!! When I was in Istanbul, every Barber in Turkey swore by horse hair...and those Barbers give more shaves than haircuts! Most Turkish guys don't shave at home, they just get a Barber shave once or twice a week..some cats everyday...So a good Turkish Barber's opinion is something you can bet on, and they all use Horse Hair because they dig it, not because of price...

Right now my signature brush is a Vie-Long Cachurro Professional Horse Hair !

178-bplatoon and Zykris like this.
  12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I still have a bag of these things laying around, like 8 or 10 of them. I bought them to use for reknotting some old handles. I never got around to it.

Prolly time for a massive den clearing. I don't use a fraction of the stuff that I have gathered over the years.

Bird Lives likes this.
  13. Bird Lives

I bet a walk through your excess shave cave stash would make a Shave Lover's Dream Documentary....

I think you need to visit the SE and Injector Party and show us all your SE and Injector stuff...excess and non-excess..a pictorial if you will......We'll call it..A Walk through the Injector and SE Wing of Stingraysrock's Shave Cave....
    No kidding...The single edge cats would love to see it...Just your injector collection will set silava glans flowing...You're a legend in those parts anyway, even though you rarely pass through since the r41 made an "Honest Shaver" out of you...}8^))

Pass through and we can relive old times...